What's wrong with Mezzo bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twanger

Über Member
I have been thinking of getting one for some time, and they generally seem to have good reviews. But they seem to be losing popularity. Evans used to stock them but doesn't any more. None of my LBS seem to have them. Is there something about them I don't know?

I have to have folders for storage reasons - at least for the next couple of years. I have a Brompton which is great, but the Mezzo is, apparently, more stable and more like a larger bike to ride. I need a rack and I need a bike free from the "bits dropping off and alarming creaks from the frame" syndrome I have experienced with Dahon (Vitesse).

So. How are Mezzos? Is there something wrong with the design or build, is it simply losing out against Brompton or is my perception that there are fewer of them simply incorrect?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The fold is slightly less intuitive than Brompton, the folded size is slightly larger, and a derailleur drivetrain that close to the ground is a bit of a liability if you ride in grim weather a lot. Ride wise, the Mezzo is really nice though.

I ended up with a Brompton because it worked for me - I don't think there's anything intrinsically wrong with the Mezzo, it's just about what trade offs you're happy with in a folder. Indeed, Mr Paul of this parish has a Mezzo, as I recall.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Apart from gears/speed what's the USP over a Brompton?

Those who want speed gearing enough to compromise the folding (and the Mezo is a complicated fold to a bigger package than a B) are a bit of a niche and have other choices in the RM Birdy and various Dahons.

I rode a Mezzo briefly at the Earls Court show in 2010 and found the steering awkward and with a slightly assymetric feel to it. No doubt you'd learn to live with it if the bike fulfilled your other needs but I was glad to get off and try a P Brompton instead.

I can't stand Mezzo's. Though I've only had experience of very early versions which were just dreadfull. I can only guess they've improved. The claim that 'they like a proper bike' is marketing BS. They ride much like every other +/- 16" wheeled bike. That is to say, not as well as a bike with bigger wheels.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Certainly didn't feel like a proper bike on my very brief acquaintance. Difficult to compare fairly with a Brompton because I wasn't coming to that new; I've owned one since 1999. Do remember picking it up from Evans in the Cut and it felt natural by the time I was on Waterloo Bridge. The Mezzo still felt like a small bike with odd steering after several circuits of the Cycleshow's admittedly small test circuit.

But if it suits other people then that's fine.

OP
OP
Twanger

Twanger

Über Member
So differing views. Thanks for all the replies.

I'm actually happy with my Brompton. I'm just suffering from Bike Acquisition Syndrome.

When you all say odd steering, do you mean odder than other small wheels?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
[QUOTE 1617759, member: 45"]The "rides like a proper bike" is the most commonly claimed advantage over Brompton. It was the price that did it for me.[/quote]
The price is very similar (c. £800). The Brompton "rides like a proper bike" - any slight twitchiness (an advantage in town) is down to the small wheels, and therefore is common to both.

I suggest you buy a Brompton before being qualified to give a long-term comparison.

fixedfixer

Veteran
I've got a Mezzo D9 and found it was a good bike. Folds small enough to get between the seats on the Virgin mainline trains. Was very happy using it on my commute. PM sent to Twanger

Pedaldog

Fatter than thou!
I bought a D9 three years ago. I already had a Brompton at the time so I wasn't doing any comparing just enjoying both bikes. I will always love Bromptons but I do regret letting the mezzo go. I won't knock it in any way as I reckon it's a good bike.

psbr69

Anyone on here into cycling? If so what do you have? Looking into getting a cyclocross bike for commuting, leisure rides and light touring. Mostly on roads but with some off road on bridleways and easier tracks but will do some slightly rough stuff as I live near Lakes. Anyone got something suitable that they could recommend?

Top Bottom