What's wrong with my Cateye Opticube (led front light)?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PedalCat

I like sandwiches
Admittedly i bought it 8 or 10 years ago and have had a lot of use out of it, but it has just stopped working. The batteries are fine, but when i press the on button, the light gives a quick flash and nothing more. And that's it. Any ideas?

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Admittedly i bought it 8 or 10 years ago and have had a lot of use out of it, but it has just stopped working. The batteries are fine, but when i press the on button, the light gives a quick flash and nothing more. And that's it. Any ideas?
that has happend to all my cateyes, only mine are after 9-13 months!

HovR

Über Member
A similar thing has happened to a few of my Cateye lights, except it's when you turn them off. Depress the switch and the light turns off.. As soon as you take your finger off the switch it turns back on again.

Stonepark

Über Member

Need to open it up, could be a number of things, but putting a multimeter at different points on the circuit might let you figure out the problem, first thing to check is any capacitors.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There is also an Astrum copy, the two 1/2 watt led rear, I've got two of these and they are good.

Try and ensure you have at least two front and rear lights. My son has the long cat eye copy, it's Ok, and also the front one which has survived a number of down pours. The fronts are way brighter than your old optics be.

Might be worth checking Edinburgh Bike Co-op - they do some good sensibly priced stuff.

May well have a sale in the New Year, though of course you'll need some sort of light in the meantime.

albion

Guru
Mine's an EL-300, the fitting seems a tiny bit wider than for the Smart.

BTW a quick flash might be just dirty contacts. Clean, maybe sandpaper and stretch them.
edit - a quick look shows you can slide a screwdriver under the 8 well designed battery tabs to stretch them.

Nebulous

Guru
I have a Cateye. I think it's an el 135. I use it on flash as a second light and it started to do exactly as you described - one flash then nothing.

I took it apart and the stupid thing was full of water. Where the mount fastens underneath there is a hole which lets it in. I can't believe they would make a cycle light with a hole in it, but hey-ho. In contrast the rear one has been great, despite being out in some really dodgy weather.

Top Bottom