What's wrong with my Cateye Opticube (led front light)?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
The EL-135 is a different kettle of fish.

If you are looking for a straight replacement I can sell you mine.
There are also 10 solder points so see if they need redoing.

I'd say it is a design classic so worth saving.

OP
OP
PedalCat

PedalCat

I like sandwiches
Mine's an EL-300, the fitting seems a tiny bit wider than for the Smart.

BTW a quick flash might be just dirty contacts. Clean, maybe sandpaper and stretch them.
edit - a quick look shows you can slide a screwdriver under the 8 well designed battery tabs to stretch them.
Stretched them, wiggled everything else, put it back together and it's working again! I'll have another 10 yrs out of it:thumbsup: . (All this about an hour after clicking to buy some Phaart lights! But at £10 inc delivery for a front and back, i'm not gonna cry).
BTW, for any enthusiasts, my Opticube is an EL200 (still available, at least on Ebay).

Hamachi

I found a problem with my own Opticube and a way to fix it. In the battery holder, pieces of metal press against the positive and negative terminals of the AA cells. The left rear of these is in three parts connected together by metal touching metal. This contact can go bad. You can disassemble and retention the contacts by pulling out the central plastic fin and then pulling off the battery contacts. Bend the metal to provide more tension, and then reassemble.

You have this problem if, with fresh batteries, you measure zero volts across the two spring contacts that connect to the light assembly.

Top Bottom