What's wrong with using a fork?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I noticed that more and more people are using just their fingers when they eat. Are they being lazy or just lack proper table manners? I think kids are the worst for that. Our grandson keeps doing it despite repeated attempts to educate him. What really annoys me is the fact that he doesn't wash his greasy hands afterwards.

• Hugs
Reactions: C R

alicat

Legendary Member
He's a smart child already - why use external implements when you have something better already attached to your wrists? I'd be more concerned about him washing his hands before he eats.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's certainly nothing to get all worked up about. Most of world's population eat with their fingers. And as someone has said, that's what hands are designed for.
For young kids, as long as they are eating then that's a good thing.
Washing hands before and after eating is a given thing. That's where the education is needed.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Most food down here is eaten with the hand (right not left) although knife fork and spoon are also used. In fact it would be difficult to eat some dishes with implements.
Which you do is a question of culture really.
Washing hands prior is obviously a necessity.

Last edited:

roley poley

Über Member
Most food down here is eaten with the hand (right not left) although knife fork and spoon are also used. In fact it would be difficult to eat some dishes with implements.
Which you do is a question of culture really.
Washing hands prior is obviously a necessity.

Good point..many cultures view the left as the hand you use for the toilet and reaching for a portion of food from a communal source can cause problems for your host, fellow guests and you

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Good point..many cultures view the left as the hand you use for the toilet and reaching for a portion of food from a communal source can cause problems for your host, fellow guests and you
In fact so much so if somebody is forced to give you something with the left they apologise.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
For soup ? :whistle:

Smart a**e :laugh:.

Sorry but in this day and age, if the worst thing he does is eat his food with his hands I find it hard to get annoyed. Too many people get too uptight and angry and offended at just about anything. I had a son who would hardly eat at all, so I would have been grateful if he had used his fingers just as long as he ate it.

You eat fish and chips from the chip shop with your fingers, you eat chicken and chips with your fingers. In lots of countries they eat their food with fingers.

Smart a**e :laugh:.

Sorry but in this day and age, if the worst thing he does is eat his food with his hands I find it hard to get annoyed. Too many people get too uptight and angry and offended at just about anything. I had a son who would hardly eat at all, so I would have been grateful if he had used his fingers just as long as he ate it.

You eat fish and chips from the chip shop with your fingers, you eat chicken and chips with your fingers. In lots of countries they eat their food with fingers.

When I was young I only ate mashed potato and gravy and that was with a teaspoon .

Cycleops

Legendary Member
For soup ? :whistle:
Yes, even soup here. It's served not by itself but with a carbo (fufu here)

1665317825750.png in the middle, this can be used for soaking up the liquid and any residue left is drunk from the bowl.
Yes, portions here are large ^_^

Top Bottom