What's wrong with using a fork?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Lord Berners' mother was apparently so proper she would eat an apple with a knife and fork.

Went on hols to Greece with a mate when I was 20yrs old ... we were unpacking, and he brought out a fruit knife ... I had never even heard of the concept at that stage in my life, let alone seen one! :laugh:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I hate having greasy/sticky hands/fingers. I won't peel an orange to eat unless I can wash my hands immediately afterwards. As for kiddies running around with said greasy/sticky hands/fingers I'd be rather upset by multiple paw prints all over the place/decor. So the wee b*gg*r would have to be washing his/her hands immediately afterwards I'm afraid. As for before - I'd be fine as immune systems need to be challenged/built although the "left hand" bit would need to be sorted.......

Reactions: C R
There do seem to be a lot of food around that you are expected to eat with you hands
Most of them were not around when I was young

for example
burgers are often eaten with hands - that is one reason why the bread is there
ALso - ribs
chicken wings
several things come witha dip and something to 'dip' in the dip to eat it - which involves hands

I think the multi cultural increases in society have increased out exposure to food from other places
and sometimes those places do things differently from us
which, in turn, can make people think about our "rules" and wonder if there is a good reason for some of them

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
You use your right for eating and handing others anything. You'd be forgiven being an 'obruni' but for anyone else it's just not done.

I would struggle with that initially I think and it would take a while to get the hang of.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
At junior school I regularly got a slap round the back of the head, had the pen or pencil taken from my left hand and told to use my right one. Think my mum went ballistic on the school and then they left me alone.

Top Bottom