What's wrong with using a fork?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwylan

Veteran
Oh come on , im pretty sure they was not designed that way just to catch out left handers

but I have just been thinking how many things in the home could be difficult for left handers and admit many of them I didnt realise.

Just allow a moment to wallow in my self pity. I am a victim and you should all apologise.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm a bit of a contradiction, I do eat with the "proper" cutlery and generally think it's sad to see the decline in table manners, but I eat most of my ethnic food one-handed with a spoon and I'll happily pick up stuff that's supposed to be finger food. I'll pick up curry and dhal with bread.
I think it's more about the social context, it's normal to eat your burger with your hands, so long as you know to use a knife and fork at a more formal dinner setting. I sometimes fear that the latter isn't going to be a given as time moves on.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I was once complimented when in India that I was so adept at using the bread to pick up the curry and eat it - they assumed that I would struggle as I was not from round those parts.

So what about fish and chips? Cutlery or no? If I have taken it home I put it on a plate and use a fork, but if eating outdoors I'd use my fingers, but would want a wet wipe or similar for after.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
It's unfair on right handed people too. They can't do a really good job of wiping their bums.

I severed a tendon in my right hand which was then out of action for 10 weeks.

It's only then that you realise how much you rely on it if you're right handed, bum wiping is a lottery and tooth brushing is just not up to scratch.

Here's a little challenge for all you cycle chatters.

1. Fold your arms.

Easy isn't it.

2. Now do it the other way round.

Easy it ain't.

Post results if you can be arsed.

I severed a tendon in my right hand which was then out of action for 10 weeks.

It's only then that you realise how much you rely on it if you're right handed, bum wiping is a lottery and tooth brushing is just not up to scratch.

Here's a little challenge for all you cycle chatters.

1. Fold your arms.

Easy isn't it.

2. Now do it the other way round.

Easy it ain't.

Post results if you can be arsed.

It's very easy for some of us.
The thing is that right- or left-handedness isn't an either/or thing, it's a continuum. Some people are VERY strongly 'handed' - either left or right - they are at each end of the line. Plonk in the middle (and probably rarest of all) is 'fully ambidextrous'. The rest of us lie somewhere along that line, 'tending to' right (or left) handedness more or less strongly.
So some people will find folding their arms 'the other way' to be difficult, and some much less so.

Top Bottom