What's wrong with using a fork?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At junior school I regularly got a slap round the back of the head, had the pen or pencil taken from my left hand and told to use my right one. Think my mum went ballistic on the school and then they left me alone.

That was something my parents kept a very close eye on with me as a little 'un, because like my dad and his siblings, and his dad, I am ambidextrous. My dad and one of his brothers got regularly walloped at school because they were left-favouring, his sister and his other brother were more evenly-balanced so found it easy to comply with 'the roolz'.
I was, fortunately, fairly evenly-balanced for most things so no problems arose as my parents encouraged me to paint, draw, scribble, play etc with my right hand and by the time I went to school, using my right hand for a pencil or crayon was an ingrained habit. It wasn't until I went to grammar school and was introduced to hockey and lacrosse that the left-hand/right-hand problem reared its ugly head and by then I was sufficiently obstreperous to talk back to the games teachers.

vickster

Legendary Member
In Italian too.

Sinistra.

i’m right handed but do eat left handed oops, using a knife and fork, knife in left, just a knife, fork or spoon would be held in my right hand, if I have to use a spoon and a fork..l’m buggered :biggrin:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

Reactions: C R

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@gavroche Pizza???
In Italy we eat it with our hands, is it not the same in France?

At junior school I regularly got a slap round the back of the head, had the pen or pencil taken from my left hand and told to use my right one. Think my mum went ballistic on the school and then they left me alone.
Me too, well I got slapped only the once on the hand, I'm a fast learner :laugh:
Many :whistle: years later, my handwriting is atrocious, I can't use a can opener without getting confused, getting forever muddled up on which hand to use for stuff.
On the bike, I can't do right twisty turns, I always want to go left :laugh:

presta

Guru
I won't peel an orange to eat unless I can wash my hands immediately afterwards.
Oranges squirt and drip juice everywhere, I won't eat one unless I can stand over the kitchen sink whilst I'm doing it. I cut them into pieces too, so that each one will go in my mouth without having to bite into it.
i’m right handed but do eat left handed oops, using a knife and fork, knife in left, just a knife, fork or spoon would be held in my right hand, if I have to use a spoon and a fork..l’m buggered :biggrin:
Fork in the left hand when it's with a knife, and right when alone. What puzzles me is why I can't use a fork alone with it in my left hand.

Reactions: C R

vickster

Legendary Member
Oranges squirt and drip juice everywhere, I won't eat one unless I can stand over the kitchen sink whilst I'm doing it. I cut them into pieces too, so that each one will go in my mouth without having to bite into it.

Fork in the left hand when it's with a knife, and right when alone. What puzzles me is why I can't use a fork alone with it in my left hand.

Because you’re right handed surely

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
@gavroche Pizza???
In Italy we eat it with our hands, is it not the same in France?
Never had a pizza in France as I left in 1970 and pizzas then were not very popular. I understand that you can eat some things with your fingers and pizza being one of them but fish fingers , peas or beans ?
I was just pointing how standards have gone down in the 21st century, it seems that anything goes nowadays and table manners are disappearing fast.

Top Bottom