What's wrong with using a fork?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Thanks answer the your original question @gavroche young children often develop certain preferences with regards to all sorts of behaviour which adults find odd. I'm sure he'll eventually grow out of it when he sees that other children don't do that and he wants to conform.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
How old is your grandson?

10 next month.

Gwylan

Veteran
Left handers are universally conspired against, vilified, picked on, bullied and expected to conform to a norm someone else made up.
We are abused and called out for something we should not have to change to appease the majority.
We risk life and limb every day with doors and door handles that are designed deliberately to catch us out.
Scissors are generally instruments of torture.
We are denied our basic human rights and no-one in the
It is a joke. The word for left in Latin and Italian is sinistra, which is also the origin of the word sinister.

Sorry, I know, me being not as nice as I should be.
Simple things like toilet design. Often find the paper dispenser is positioned to ensure the sinestri get a whack on the elbow. And so on.

roley poley

Veteran
As a left handier from birth i have found my own way around the worlds bias...grandma told me when she wrote at school with her left hand the nuns would flog her hand with a taws (leather strop) to stop her doing so ..thankfully times have moved on..my point was to educate people to fit in to an other culture without offence so you can enjoy the yummy food and have a nice time with others in peace at their table:smile::smile:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
my point was to educate people to fit in to an other culture without offence so you can enjoy the yummy food and have a nice time with others in peace at their table:smile:
Well said!
I was born in Germany: my German family eat similar fashion to the UK, mains plus sides on the same dish.
Putting your knife in your mouth is a big no no.
Then my mother moved to Italy, we stayed with her husband's family: all courses must be on separate plates, pasta is strictly a starter dish, mixing cold (like salad) with hot on the same dish is a no no.
You help yourself from the centre dishes to your plates using separate cutlery, not your own.
Later, I met my partner, from Cyprus: there everybody helps themselves from the centre dishes, using their own cutlery, mixing it all on one plate :laugh:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Everything that passes my lips is put there by the use of cutlery, not fingers! Even peanuts and crisps are spoon, not finger fed!🧐

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Quite a valuable lesson for a ten year old is to teach them that they are going to have to do things in life that they don't really want to do.

It's tough but that's the way it is.

That reminds me of my older brother when I was about 10 year old forcing me to drink dark, mild beer from a barrel glass, after I said it tasted horrible! It was one of our grandad's pints while on a family holiday. It looked more like a bucket full than a pint.:ohmy: My brother told me to get used to it as "we have to drink this stuff when we get older, whether we like it or not"!.:laugh:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Things nowadays are not too complicated. In Victorian and Edwardian times the table layout of cutlery was designed as a nightmare to pick out the jumped up rich from the old money at the dinner table.
Knowing which implement to use for the various courses was important and on the left hand thumb and middle fingernails were grown longer to pick up sticks of asparagus for dipping without getting one’s fingers soiled.
I don’t have a chart handy and cannot be bothered looking for one but it is of social interest.
Naturally the hoi polloi did not have the same concerns.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I have more of a problem with my son (11 years old) trying to use just a fork to eat everything, the knife often remains untouched and he uses his fork in his right hand - I blame American TV

https://www.etiquettescholar.com/dining_etiquette/table_manners_6.html

Mrs Sterlo eats with the fork in her right hand and the knife in her left and she's not left handed. I will use a fork in my right hand if it's something that doesn't need cutting up (rice, snack food, etc) but I can't cut properly with my left hand

Top Bottom