What's wrong with you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
I guess I've been obvious by my prolonged absence which has little to do with being in Australia and more to do with my body trying its hardest to kill me.
Last winter it was double pneumonia, 6 days on life support, another 6 days in ICU, 12 in total there, and 2 months in hospital.

I'd just about got back on my feet (March this year) and found out what life was for when I ended up having emergency surgery on my elbow of all things to save my life. It had gone septic and I was hours off being back in ICU. Another stay in hospital.

Then just over a month later, I woke up with my right arm partially paralysed and all the strength gone from both arms. It took 2 hands to hold 1/2 a plastic glass of water to be able to drink anything. Investigations followed and I was told I would be dead by the end of the year without surgery. C5-C6 & C6-C7 had collapsed and were not only badly compressing all and every nerve root that left at those levels on both sides, but also my spinal cord. It was compressed by "more than 50%". Surgery followed within 3 weeks also finding that C6 vertebra needed removing and reconstructing, so basically my head was taken off and put back on again 5mm higher than it was before surgery (3mm on one disk and 2mm on the other). Another (short) stay in ICU. That was June. There have been complications and I'm still in inpatient rehab. I've now officially lived in this hospital longer than our new home. I have to live with those complications sadly, but I do get to live.

I get out of hospital on Thursday.

I said enough was enough. I can just about walk with the crutches and have decided I'm going home. I have a lot of outpatient rehab to follow before I'm back on my feet again and the closest I will come to cycling for a while yet will be my recumbent exercise bike.

I can't complain - we've had a full life up until now, OK I'm only 45 years old but its been fit, active and we've taken all the opportunities that have come our way. Now my health is catching up with me.

Oh well - big sigh. At least I am getting to go home.
Best wishes x

Globalti

Legendary Member
62 here and:

Temporary (I hope!) frozen shoulder following collar bone break 7 weeks ago.
Permanent left hip pain, don't think it's arthritis.
Torn deltoid muscle on left shoulder.
Chronic weakness of left ankle after dislocation 40 years ago.
Recurring tendonitis on right ankle when wearing high walking boots.

Sometimes I wish I could just stop and all these aches and pains would go away.

postman

Legendary Member
SatNavSaysStraightOn I would give you a hug also,but seeing as you are in Aus,it would mean i would be standing on my head,and the blood rush would knock me out,so just best wishes and best of luck om a speedy recovery.

classic33

Leg End Member
I guess I've been obvious by my prolonged absence which has little to do with being in Australia and more to do with my body trying its hardest to kill me.
Last winter it was double pneumonia, 6 days on life support, another 6 days in ICU, 12 in total there, and 2 months in hospital.

I'd just about got back on my feet (March this year) and found out what life was for when I ended up having emergency surgery on my elbow of all things to save my life. It had gone septic and I was hours off being back in ICU. Another stay in hospital.

Then just over a month later, I woke up with my right arm partially paralysed and all the strength gone from both arms. It took 2 hands to hold 1/2 a plastic glass of water to be able to drink anything. Investigations followed and I was told I would be dead by the end of the year without surgery. C5-C6 & C6-C7 had collapsed and were not only badly compressing all and every nerve root that left at those levels on both sides, but also my spinal cord. It was compressed by "more than 50%". Surgery followed within 3 weeks also finding that C6 vertebra needed removing and reconstructing, so basically my head was taken off and put back on again 5mm higher than it was before surgery (3mm on one disk and 2mm on the other). Another (short) stay in ICU. That was June. There have been complications and I'm still in inpatient rehab. I've now officially lived in this hospital longer than our new home. I have to live with those complications sadly, but I do get to live.

I said enough was enough. I can just about walk with the crutches and have decided I'm going home. I have a lot of outpatient rehab to follow before I'm back on my feet again and the closest I will come to
cycling for a while yet will be my recumbent exercise bike.

I can't complain - we've had a full life up until now, OK I'm only 45 years old but its been fit, active and we've taken all the opportunities that have come our way. Now my health is catching up with me.

It's one for this thread
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/any-survivors-on-here-cardiac-arrest-heart-attack-cancer.164623/

Levo-Lon

Guru
[QUOTE 5405879, member: 9609"]if I went back 10 years (mid 40s) working 15 hours a day. About every thing was wrong, mostly minor stuff but a very long list
Bad Knees
Bad Hip
Bad Back
Buggered Shoulder
tennis elbow x2
painful hands
neck problems
Headaches
couldn't sleep but always tired
Indigestion
just felt old

then serious back injury, packed in work, took up cycling
become obsessed with cycling
average 150 mile a week
painfully thin

Now mid 50s, Feel about 20 year old again
(tempting fiat here, famous last words and all that)
apart from a bit of a stiff back if I over do it - I'm going like a train, not sure if i've ever felt better.

bollox to earning money - a bit hard up, but as fit as a flea is where its at. future looks a bit grim money wise, but in the mean time i'm going to enjoys being a fecker, a fighter and a wild bike rider. ^_^^_^^_^^_^^_^^_^^_^[/QUOTE]

i honesty dont think you can blame Fiat mate :laugh: there ok if you look after them

Good for you @User9609

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru

I said enough was enough. I can just about walk with the crutches and have decided I'm going home. I have a lot of outpatient rehab to follow before I'm back on my feet again and the closest I will come to cycling for a while yet will be my recumbent exercise bike.

Wow!!! You've been through the mill and back again! Good to see you on here again though and good luck with the recovery!

Top Bottom