What's your biggest repair bill?!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Just got my baby back from the LBS.

Was in need of new crankset, chain, cassette, gear wire and a truing of the rear wheel, after 8 months of non stop commuting.

Thing is, that on my way to work all my delicate pedalling turned to nothing as the cassette wouldnt engage half way into an 11 mile ride, so when I finally made it to LBS (courtesy of the lady I owe so, so much to), I thought I'd better instruct a service as well. Ended up adding a new rear wheel, BB (of course) and break pads into the mix and I've also had my bars lowered :smile:

My bill...£221.94!!

I expect this can be beaten easily...wonder which is worth more though...a 2 child producing testicle or a year and a half clean living kidney?

On the plus side, I can't wait to spin home on it

I rode my tri cross into the ground over a number of years and spent £480 last year to fix and replace everything. It was either that or buy a new commuter.
Worth every penny.

U

User6179

Just got my baby back from the LBS.

Was in need of new crankset, chain, cassette, gear wire and a truing of the rear wheel, after 8 months of non stop commuting.

Thing is, that on my way to work all my delicate pedalling turned to nothing as the cassette wouldnt engage half way into an 11 mile ride, so when I finally made it to LBS (courtesy of the lady I owe so, so much to), I thought I'd better instruct a service as well. Ended up adding a new rear wheel, BB (of course) and break pads into the mix and I've also had my bars lowered :smile:

My bill...£221.94!!

I expect this can be beaten easily...wonder which is worth more though...a 2 child producing testicle or a year and a half clean living kidney?

On the plus side, I can't wait to spin home on it

Depending on the replacement parts that could be cheap or expensive .

I just replaced my winter bike Crank £31 , chain £8 shimano 8 speed , cassette £12 shimano 8speed , pads £4.50 shimano , 1 tyre gatorskin £21 , now the back wheel is about knackered and the BB is clicking and the front tyre developed a bulge yesterday .

I doubt I would get change from £250 if I used a LBS .

OP
OP
Turbo Rider

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Depending on the replacement parts that could be cheap or expensive .

I just replaced my winter bike Crank £31 , chain £8 shimano 8 speed , cassette £12 shimano 8speed , pads £4.50 shimano , 1 tyre gatorskin £21 , now the back wheel is about knackered and the BB is clicking and the front tyre developed a bulge yesterday .

I doubt I would get change from £250 if I used a LBS .

Oh yes, no complaints and they do everything to a very high quality anyway. Like you say, I could get the parts cheaper and do it myself, but it would lack precision. Looks stunnning now and will feel nice n slick :smile:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i think my biggest rebuild charge was £150 and that included new rims , spokes laced on to original hubs , bottom bracket , head set replacement , chain and 2 tyres and all the labour involved

OP
OP
Turbo Rider

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Ooh, end of ride report and the going was superb. Bike felt amazing - tighter & more solid than ever. Very, very happy :smile: 5 min's quicker over 13 miles! :hyper:

A large part of the cost was an upgrade from stock parts (FSA) to Shimano (now have a very neat Sora crank and I've never had things so nice on the ring switch - new rear wheel is nice and light as well), so should see the benefits and they will take it in for free indexing once the cables have settled in :okay:

Love it, love them and right now, love the world...apart from ****** close pass merchant.

I would of brought a new bike for that
I toyed with it but the tri cross is a proper workhorse which is exactly what I need for commuting and as a winter bike.
I'm over the moon I spent the cash on it and I'm not sure I would have got an equivalent spec for the money.

Michael86

I toyed with it but the tri cross is a proper workhorse which is exactly what I need for commuting and as a winter bike.
I'm over the moon I spent the cash on it and I'm not sure I would have got an equivalent spec for the money.
If you don't mind me asking, how much was the bike brand new

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the bike brand new
Cost me £150 and a severely damaged mtb from a lad at work who had bought it for £780 on the bike to work scheme and ridden it a couple of times. I rode it for 3 years or so then paid to upgrade it so all in all I've paid for the bike but upgraded everything in the process and I love it.

Top Bottom