1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats your conflict?

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by gambatte, 6 May 2008.

1. gambatte

gambatte Middle of the pack...

What’s every ones usual or typical ‘conflict’ on the road?

I get plenty of close passes, but come to expect them and they’re usually done as soon as you notice them. Mr L200 is already in the distance.

For me the one that really gets to me is:

Approaching red lights/junction/’STOP’ sign, with someone already stopped in front.

I carry out lifesaver and early indication. Move into primary. After a few seconds in primary you notice someones trying to pass!!

It’s the main thing, for me, that causes a reduction in pressure in the Airzound reservoir.

2. dodgy

dodgy Veteran

Passing too close, that's the one that annoys me.

Dave.

3. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

Mine is cycling along surburban streets - the one's with cars parked on one side making it a one lane to all intents and purposes.

Cars approaching still speed down those even if they see you approaching in Primary and expect you to duck into the gutter as they pass leaving no room for error.

I still can't get the hang of them.

Even if I stay in primary until the car slows and I dip to the side there are always following cars who zip through.

That really really really annoys me.

4. Maz

Maz Guru

Turning right at a 70 dual-carriageway RAB...not normally a problem, but this morning saw my life flash before my eyes as some twat pulled in front of me. I shouted like f*ck at him and gave him the finger.

I'm still trying to shake it off now...

5. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

Usually people who aren't reading the road - because they can't see further than their bonnet, you get close passes to reach red lights, close passes by parked cars (when these end and there's adequate space for a safe pass 1/2 second on).

6. Trillian

Trillian New Member

people squeezing me into the curb

a car came round off the roundabout and slightly squeezed my gf into the curb, but because it was on a corner it wasn't too bad, partly because she wasn't going too fast

then he moved out to overtake me but gradually started to cut across into me, matching my speed and looking at me, there's a whole second lane for him to use, how much space does he need?

that annoys me.

7. redjedi

redjedi Über Member

Drivers who overtake on a left hand curve in the road, and then start to drift into the corner, taking the "racing line".

I've now learnt to ride in primary on these bends in the road.

And just so this thread isn't all aimed at cars.....cyclists who insist on squeazing past buses and lorries, just as they are about to start moving.

8. Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse New Member

Jeezo, nae luck. let's hope the bloke gets a visit from the karma police.

9. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

The left hook. Even when I'm in a super-primary, there's one junction where it can still happen, and sometimes does, although they must go well onto the other carriageway in order to get around me.

Frickin' scary.

10. Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse New Member

People who accellerate past you to stop 20 yards up the road in a queue.

11. Big T

Big T Über Member

Cars that pass and then turn left. Also, traffic that won't let you in when you are wanting to move into the outside lane to turn right. I have to do this 4 times on my commute and sometimes have to stop at the lights, get off and walk across the ped crossing instead.

12. GrahamG

GrahamG Über Member

With me it's probably people getting irate when I'm in primary position who want to overtake despite there not being sufficient room. This has happened with buses as well as cars.

13. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

people either turning right from the oppo side across me, often through traffic so they can't possible see me

or people pulling out in front of me from roads on the left

I've see the right hand turn through traffic done correctly so often that the people that simply can't be bothered to do it properly really annoy me

the nature of my route means some of the other things aren't so much of an issue

and the 'can't care' maneuverers where they've seen you but plain leave you to look after yourself, ie brake very hard or swerve, you'll be ok

14. goo_mason

goo_mason Champion barbed-wire hurdler

My conflict is whether to get bib shorts or stick with the Lidl lycra shorts I've used for the last two summers. I love my dHb bib longs and fancy a pair of their bib shorts ;)

But if you mean road conflicts, I agree about the 'racing line' overtakers who nip past me and then swerve in and attempt to clip the apex, causing me to have to slam on the anchors in advance so I'm not at that point when they're still there....

15. MERV

MERV New Member

That is the flaw with the primary position.