Whats your conflict?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Maz said:
Top end of Parkway? You're a braver man than me.
Nope that’s M1 not M18. J1 M18 is the Maltby junction.
Parkway is signposted at every entryway to show its off limits to bikes. Even if it wasn’t, it’d be off limits to mine.

Cab

Very few close overtakes. Happens, not often though. The conflict I get is people responding badly to me cycling properly (i.e. in the lane, not the gutter) and responding inappropriately, like the bloke who assumed I'd use the cycle lane that would allow him to pass me within three feet at a traffic island... not bloody likely! So obviously afterwards he overtook and shot straight in to the left of the lane at the junction ahead. No problem filtering outside him of course, but he didn't like it xx(

Maz

Guru
gambatte said:
Nope that’s M1 not M18. J1 M18 is the Maltby junction.
Parkway is signposted at every entryway to show its off limits to bikes. Even if it wasn’t, it’d be off limits to mine.
Ah, so it is. I should've known that. Used to do M18 on my Hull-Sheffield drives.

monnet

Guru
Narrow roads/ roads lined parked cars where you have right of way (ie: your lane is clear theirs has the obstruction) but the oncoming cars will squeeze the cyclist of the road but wait and give other cars plenty of time and space. I've also noticed that even on wider roads where two cars can pass without too much problem the oncoming traffic seems inevitably to pull out an extra metre or so to make the life of the cyclist awkward.

monnet

Guru
Cab said:
Very few close overtakes. Happens, not often though. The conflict I get is people responding badly to me cycling properly (i.e. in the lane, not the gutter) and responding inappropriately, like the bloke who assumed I'd use the cycle lane that would allow him to pass me within three feet at a traffic island... not bloody likely! So obviously afterwards he overtook and shot straight in to the left of the lane at the junction ahead. No problem filtering outside him of course, but he didn't like it xx(

I've had plenty like this too, Cab.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
The thing that scares me the most is undertaking (by drivers)

Various scenarios: when I'm turning right the "undertake and turn right almost simultaneously" move (the undertake and go straight on move is typical-regardless of road positioning, since the pavement can be used- I'm not bothered about this one so much)

Also the undertake on a large roundabout, often just at the approach to my exit.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
My main conflicts are the classic left chop. After that it's people calling out that I should use the cycle path (there isn't a cycle path parallel to the whole of the dual carriageways at all the lanes stop on the underpasses of some roundabouts!). The other one I get fairly often is Sheffield has quite a lot of one way roads with contraflow cycle lanes and you get people turning right illegally or driving the wrong way up one way streets into me.

cannondale boy

Über Member
Tetedelacourse said:
People who accellerate past you to stop 20 yards up the road in a queue.

I completely agree with you on this one...one of my pet hates! :blush:

Archie

Errrr.....
Cars that overtake after you've signalling a right turn. Usually I'm pretty zen but that always turns the air blue as they clearly can't be bothered to wait, they'd rather gamble with your life to save seconds. :blush:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Got to love when a car driver goes into one of those advanced stop lanes at traffic lights.
The talks you can have with the driver is amazing.
"Errr you know this bit is just for bikes, it isnt for cars at the front to feel special about because they are at the front"
(car driver) "Sorry i didnt notice"
"so you didnt notice the big red box with a picture of a bike in then?"
One that really annoyed me is when a car comes half past you then slows down or stops to turn left, why not just wait behind.
A good one is when i'm out the cycle lane and i have people pointing to me to get in it. I give them the thumbs up and move out more and annoy them more. The cycle lane is where people open car doors and often walk along. Most of them are rubbish, and why should the car driver tell me to get in them.:blush:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Archie said:
Cars that overtake after you've signalling a right turn. Usually I'm pretty zen but that always turns the air blue as they clearly can't be bothered to wait, they'd rather gamble with your life to save seconds. :blush:

Same here, I had one pass underneath my out stretched arm about a month ago, and he only travelled another 50m before joining the end of stationary que of cars at a red light, why??

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Ok, we've got the bad 'uns that pass too close and the good 'uns that wait behind.

Anyone noticed the ones that want to be seen as patient.....

They hang behind, but with their bonnet slowly creeping up (too close) on your outside. Suddenly they'll see a gap and accelerate - swinging out to give you an extra 6 inch of room.....

Top Bottom