What's your favourite bit of brutalist architecture?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Aberystwyth Arts Centre. Great views across Cardigan Bay from there too. Lovely.

1011780_2Bs.jpg

Another good choice - spent three happy years in its vicinity and a quite a few happy evenings within its walls

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
It's all a bit Marmite, ain't it?xx(

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Demolished 10 years ago, lived nearby for a while back in the late 80s. This older photograph is good because there's little street clutter.

I once went to see Napalm Death in the club there.

1205582_AJ25_RIBA3729.jpg

Looks like it had the good "sculptural" aspects of brutalism, but certainly fell into the "hostile at street level" trap.
With a modern tart up to address the later, I'm guessing it could have been made into something rather fine

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Watford has it's own bits of suburban brutalism: here's Hille House

Hille-Watford-Offices.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Watford has it's own bits of suburban brutalism: here's Hille House

Hille-Watford-Offices.jpg

Umm, I think the thread title included the word "favourite", which implies some kind of merit ... unless of course there's some fondly remembered youthful exploit involving a young lady in the building's shadows, not sure if this one really qualifies.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Umm, I think the thread title included the word "favourite", which implies some kind of merit ... unless of course there's some fondly remembered youthful exploit involving a young lady in the building's shadows, not sure if this one really qualifies.

It doesn't qualify, It's off-topic. There isn't much else like it in Watford though.

Top Bottom