What's your favourite bit of brutalist architecture?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melvil

I think they're great from that angle, but seen from the back as you approach them from the main UEA campus area they are hideous, hideous, a gloomy canyon of dank, stained unredeemed concrete.

Maybe, but used to go out with a girl at UEA and remember the nice communal kitchens and the great floor to ceiling windows looking out over the lake. Great buildings from the inside, I thought!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Our old Town hall.
th

I'm waiting for a couple of works to be finished, they could be quite interesting from a modernist point of view.

Last edited:

robjh

Legendary Member
Maybe, but used to go out with a girl at UEA and remember the nice communal kitchens and the great floor to ceiling windows looking out over the lake. Great buildings from the inside, I thought!
I'd agree with that entirely (even to the point of going out with a girl at UEA, though I expect not the same one). But to get to the lovely inside though you still had to cross those windswept aerial walkways above that stained grey abyss.

To prove that I really do like those buildings, here is another, recent, view, with the university library behind
20120619 (24)Comp UEA.jpg

[QUOTE 3509853, member: 9609"]everyone seems to be interpreting "Brutal" as ugly [/QUOTE]
Absolutely not, you may view it as "ugly" but many of the posts have been amazing - and the one I posted is (imo) one of the iconic football stadium designs.

[QUOTE 3509882, member: 9609"]galas in a mess and the new tapestry thing aint going to help
[/QUOTE]

The tapestry thing is a separate issue - but I think that it's a waste of money.

But the Gala Fairdean Rovers ground is still amazing.

And I also love wind turbines.

[QUOTE 3509891, member: 9609"]It certainly has something about it, i will award it a +1[/QUOTE]

It's the only thing I enjoy about going to Netherdale - apart from beating Gala of course ;) which is easy...

I have not been to a Fairydean game yet but I plan of going soon. I might have gone next Saturday but I see that Melrose and Peebles are playing at The Greenyards in a Borders League match.

Top Bottom