What's your favourite sci-fi series (if any)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think all the TV SciFi series are pretty rubbishy apart maybe from Star Trek. The only one that had any real merit was Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy on the radio.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Does anybody ever remember "the fantastic journey"
I vaguely remember it was about the bermuda triangle?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I love a good bit of sci-fi escapism. Doctor Who (Tom Baker/Peter Davison was my era), Blakes Seven, Thunderbirds and The Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy were staples for me. Liked Space 1999 at the time but what I've seen since seems very weird.:blink:

Starfleet I watched but my brother liked it more - my recollection is the famous Welsh battle robot Dai X.:whistle:

Terrahawks was fun. Found Star Trek and TNG good but a bit on the serious side. Didn't like S.T. Voyager - too smug/every episode felt the same. Couldn't get into Babylon 5 (sorry @Reynard).

Love Star Wars (shall we pretend the prequels didn't happen?)

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
As for Space 1999 there's been talks of reviving it. I think It was going to be renamed Space 2099 and would of been based on the Alphans off spring.
Ziennia Merton who played Sandra did a brilliant short one off show of her character not so long ago. She played her character sending a message back to earth explaining what had become of them all. Its on YouTube if can muster up the enthusiasm to watch it.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Captain Kirk.
Red Dwarf.

Julia9054

Guru
Blakes 7 - Avon - my first crush!
Doctor Who - Tom Baker onwards and continued watching the reboot with my kids. My theory is "your" doctor is whoever was in the role when you were 10.
Star Trek - TNG, Deep Space Nine and Voyager. Favourite = Deep Space Nine. Watched the first series of Discovery - tried season 2 but the story was too complicated. Too many alternate universes and I couldn't be bothered.
Fancy trying The Orville (son recommends) but currently too tight to pay for it.

Star-Treks; but not really the original series (1)

Next Generation; for some great charactors; Picard, Worf, O'Brien, Data, Sarek (2), Guinan (Goldberg had good reasons to play the part, & turned down roles for it.. 3)
Very 80's, for the ships counseller

Voyager; I liked it, Janeway was excellent, as was Tuvok, Torres, & Seven

Deep Space 9; Ben Sisko - what a guy!!
Kira Nerys was a great foil for him
The Dominion war was a good story

Enterprise; Again Jonathon Archer, a great Captain, doing something that had not been done before
And, his (at first, but soon to be trusted) Science Officer, T'Pol

1. Nichelle Nicols is on record, stating that none other than Martin Luther King, asked her to change her mind to leave the show, as she was such a (as the phrase is used today) role-model!!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nichelle_Nichols#Star_Trek (middle paragraph)

2. Spocks father, & the reason for this epic scene, after Picard has mind-melded, to help with the symptons of a disease, like Dementia

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGd1z2OhHXA

3. Goldberg, likewise, is on record, as seeing Nicols, as Uhura, & shouting "Mummy, there's a black lady on the TV, & she's not a Maid!!"

lane

Veteran
Not sure if it was exactly sci fi but does anyone recall Survivors? Terry Nation was involved in both that and Blake's 7.

Edit - just seen posts above about this programme

Top Bottom