What's your favourite sci-fi series (if any)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Does anyone else remember The Tomorrow People?
Space 1999 aside, I didn't really watch much sci-fi as a kid. My brother was an avid TP watcher but it just confused me. Since the box-set revolution happened I have started watching it and am really enjoying it. It's laughable and cheesy but some of the stories are really good.

I did thoroughly enjoy Quatermass (the John Mills Conclusion) when first aired and have rewatched it several times. I love the dystopic Britain it's set in.

Since the box-set revolution I can watch all those series that I didn't quite understand, was too young for, or that weren't broadcast in the Granada region so I've come across quite a few 'favourites' that i missed first time round...

The Changes
Quatermass and the Pit
Timeslip

...are three that spring to mind

[edit] ...and Chocky! (Chocky's Children was/is pretty good too, but Chocky's Challenge was absolute shoot!)

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Liked "Flip side of Dominic Hyde". Has some quirky moments in it. The least being a Spectrum something for a dashboard.
wasn't that a one off TV movie rather than a series?

There was a second part; Another Trip for Dominic or something? I recall it not being anywhere near as good as Flip Side

Reynard

Guru
Actually, it was a movie back in 1999, very funny though.

I know. I have the DVD on the shelf behind me. :biggrin:

It's a send-up of just about every TV sci-fi-series ever, from ropey episodes to geeky fandom - which is why I think it has a place here. :smile:

*And* it's got Alan Rickman. :blush:

Reynard

Guru
Journey into Space - a 1950s sci fi radio drama which is repeated every now and then on radio 4 extra. Two main series to the Moon and then Mars. I know it sounds crap- but it really is not.

I'd never heard of it either, but it is an absolute gem. Look it up on YouTube. It really Is a terrific listen.

Oh yessssss!!! "Operation Luna"

It used to air on Radio 2 fairly late at night back in the late 80s. I used to sneak a battery-powered radio into bed so I could listen as it was broadcast on a school night. It was quite scary in places IIRC (ok, I was about 12 then...) but made compelling listening nonetheless.

I remember borrowing it a year or two later on tape from my local library so I could listen to it on my walkman while I was on hols.

D

Deleted member 23692

I'm going to try the Expanse soon, but after watching half an episode a few months ago, I think subtitles may be required - they seem to mumble a lot.
I found the first episode of The Expanse a pain to get through, and probably tried to watch it all the way through 4 or 5 times over the space of a year. It's well worth the effort

Rusty Nails

We remember
Oh yessssss!!! "Operation Luna"

It used to air on Radio 2 fairly late at night back in the late 80s. I used to sneak a battery-powered radio into bed so I could listen as it was broadcast on a school night. It was quite scary in places IIRC (ok, I was about 12 then...) but made compelling listening nonetheless.

I remember borrowing it a year or two later on tape from my local library so I could listen to it on my walkman while I was on hols.

I usually find TV or film versions of sci-fi a little bit boring. I find the radio or book versions more interesting as the imagination plays a greater part. Although I did love Quatermass and the Pit on TV when I was a kid, and the late 50s American sci-fi films we used to sneak into at the local flea-pit.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Quatermass was a horror for a youngster when I saw it. Space 1999 was my thing, and Battle Star Galatica.

The Expanse is very well worth sticking with. As is Dark Matter.

Sharky

Guru
There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume.

Space Patrol hasn’t been mentioned yet? Not the live action series of the same name - the marionette-based one from the early 1960s. The opening theme music used to scare me when I was a little ‘un! I liked watching it - something about it just made me hide behind the settee from time to time.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
I liked Stargate but the last few series were dreadful. The same fate struck spinoff Stargate Atlantis, which was a must-see for me but spiralled downhill after major cast changes. A further spinoff, Stargate Universe, was just plain dull.

In similar fashion, the first series of Andromeda was not bad but then the lead actor took control in subsequent series and immediately ruined it.

What I'd like to see are adaptations of Ian Banks novels but I guess that the effects budget would be crippling.

Richard A Thackeray

Legendary Member
Although I did love Quatermass and the Pit on TV when I was a kid, and the late 50s American sci-fi films we used to sneak into at the local flea-pit.
'Pit' used to really freak me out as a kid (say..9... 10...)
Films like
When Worlds Collide
The Day The Earth Stood Still (Michael Rennie, from Bradford, as Klaatu)
The War Of The Worlds
Plan 9 From Outer Space
(so bad, that it was good!)

Quatermass was a horror for a youngster when I saw it. Space 1999 was my thing,
Likewise, for Q & P
I remember watching 1999, when it first hit the screens

Top Bottom