What's your favourite sci-fi series (if any)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
And of course, we can't leave out...

Galaxy Quest

The best spoof of sci-fi series ever. :biggrin:

Actually, it was a movie back in 1999, very funny though.

Here's my pick;

Star Trek - of course!
Blakes seven
Dr Who (Tom Baker)
UFO
Space 1999
Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy

captain nemo1701

Firefly* - Should never have been cancelled after 1 series
The Expanse - Currently the best out there, and glad that it's been picked up by Amazon for Season 4 (and 5 :smile:)
The Orville - Everything the new Netflix crapness that is Star Trek Discovery should have been
UFO - It's Gerry Anderson

*If you've not seen the Firefly Movie, Serenity, then that's your weekend's homework

Glad you mentioned The Orville - very good, looking forwards to more (it just got season 3 )

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
all those cheap and cheerful shows with bad special FX and where every alien planet seems to be the same area of west coast American forest.

Saw this explained once. The unions in Hollywood dictate the rates for outdoor filming and it varies according to distance from the studios. There's a circle drawn of (I think) 10 miles radius and outside that line the rates shoot up. Luckily inside that circle there's an old quarry and a bit of wild park and desert.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I never minded the rickety sets on liw budgets in classic Doctor Who or Blake's 7. It's all about storytelling and ideas. By contrast Avatar looked amazing but was total shyte - or so it seemed from the half hour I managed to sit through

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I read more than I watch, I think, but Firefly is the best, possibly because it was only one season so it didn't get stale or repetitive. Some Tennant and Smith Dr Who was good, but the latest series is decidedly ropey.

I'm going to try the Expanse soon, but after watching half an episode a few months ago, I think subtitles may be required - they seem to mumble a lot.

captain nemo1701

Saw this explained once. The unions in Hollywood dictate the rates for outdoor filming and it varies according to distance from the studios. There's a circle drawn of (I think) 10 miles radius and outside that line the rates shoot up. Luckily inside that circle there's an old quarry and a bit of wild park and desert.

One episode of Stargate SG1 sees our heroes emerge from the gate onto an alien planet which bears an uncanny resemblance to a forest in Canada, where SG1 (and the X Files) was made.

Colonel O'Neil (Richard Dean Anderson) had a line like 'Trees, trees...how green is the universe', which I'm sure was a joke about using the same forest umpteen times:smile:.

Remember kids of the 1970's, Dr Who & Blakes 7 fought alien monsters & the evil federation on planets which looked suspiciously like a quarry in Surrey:okay:.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
The Jetsons. :okay:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
One episode of Stargate SG1 sees our heroes emerge from the gate onto an alien planet which bears an uncanny resemblance to a forest in Canada, where SG1 (and the X Files) was made.

Colonel O'Neil (Richard Dean Anderson) had a line like 'Trees, trees...how green is the universe', which I'm sure was a joke about using the same forest umpteen times:smile:.

Remember kids of the 1970's, Dr Who & Blakes 7 fought alien monsters & the evil federation on planets which looked suspiciously like a quarry in Surrey:okay:.
I believe the forest mentioned is actually Stanley Park in Vancouver. Lots of filming done there as it's close to the city centre - which also gets used to double for American cities in film and TV.

Salar

A fish out of water
As a child in the sixties these spooked me:-

A for Andromeda.

The Twilight Zone.

The Outer Limits. "There is nothing wrong with your television set"

My Favorite Martian was funny in it's time.

Last edited:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I believe the forest mentioned is actually Stanley Park in Vancouver. Lots of filming done there as it's close to the city centre - which also gets used to double for American cities in film and TV.

It probably is - my favourite Vancouver cameo is in Jackie Chan's Rumble in the Bronx in which the Rocky Mountains are clearly visible in the background in some of the street fight scenes. There is also a stretch of road outside of Vancouver that features in just about every X-Files episode which features mysterious goings on in dark forests... which is a lot of them.

Smudge

Veteran
I used to really like The X Files and also bought the expensive DVD box set back in the noughties..... even though almost every episode consisted of Mouldy & Sulky running around with torches in the dark.

Top Bottom