What's your lot doing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
With all this money pouring into "active travel" infrastructure it's interesting seeing how it's being spent. Our lot spent the first tranche on a few signs saying that vehicles were not allowed in the town centre. They deployed these in the already-pedestrianised area of town (I kid you not). Our town centre is pedestrianised, but only between 11am and 4pm. The new signs are physically put up and taken down at these times.

Tranche 2 is more signs, this time to allow cycling
https://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/pdf...g/macclesfield-town-centre-ped-cycle-plan.pdf

and one road closure
https://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/pdf/covid-19/walking-and-cycling/ivy-road-macclesfield.pdf

We are all thrilled at these exciting and ambitious advances in active transport. I have written to our Councillors to congratulate them.

Last edited:

Dwn

Glasgow has created a few 'temporary', properly marked cycle lanes - in many cases separated from the other lanes by 'orcas'. These are generally pretty good although cars/vans still parking in some of them.
Hopefully the council will make these permanent in due course, but who knows!

Twilkes

Guru
Glasgow has created a few 'temporary', properly marked cycle lanes - in many cases separated from the other lanes by 'orcas'. These are generally pretty good although cars/vans still parking in some of them.
Hopefully the council will make these permanent in due course, but who knows!

I particularly like the optimism of the multiple bicycle signs and forward arrows on the Broomielaw near the Clyde to try to stop riders going down the bus lane. Why bikes are still excluded from that lane I don't know, I probably only saw a couple of buses a week use it on my commute, it's not like it would be dangerous.

Slick

Guru
I particularly like the optimism of the multiple bicycle signs and forward arrows on the Broomielaw near the Clyde to try to stop riders going down the bus lane. Why bikes are still excluded from that lane I don't know, I probably only saw a couple of buses a week use it on my commute, it's not like it would be dangerous.
Sign up with go bike, I believe they are doing some work to rectify that. :okay:

Someone was killed walking along there shortly after it opened, I witnessed the aftermath :sad:
The whole fastlink idea is silly when the rest of the infra is so tattered and piecemeal, though you just need to look at the cycling maps of Glasgow to know that tattered and piecemeal is their stock in trade.

As you say, a perfectly good bit of tarmac, left mostly unused.

C R

Guru
With all this money pouring into "active travel" infrastructure it's interesting seeing how it's being spent. Our lot spent the first tranche on a few signs saying that vehicles were not allowed in the town centre. They deployed these in the already-pedestrianised area of town (I kid you not). Our town centre is pedestrianised, but only between 11am and 4pm. The new signs are physically put up and taken down at these times.

Tranche 2 is more signs, this time to allow cycling
https://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/pdf...g/macclesfield-town-centre-ped-cycle-plan.pdf

and one road closure
https://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/pdf/covid-19/walking-and-cycling/ivy-road-macclesfield.pdf

We are all thrilled at these exciting and ambitious advances in active transport. I have written to our Councillors to congratulate them.
From what I can see Worcs county council is spending the money painting bicycles along lanes that are already signposted as part of NCN routes.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Why bikes are still excluded from that lane I don't know, I probably only saw a couple of buses a week use it on my commute

The X19 on that route runs every 10-15 minutes so it's a bit busier than that. On the bike I'm happy to stick with the riverside shared route because I don't trust those bus drivers and they routinely travel at 35 in the 20 zone.

Dwn

The X19 on that route runs every 10-15 minutes so it's a bit busier than that. On the bike I'm happy to stick with the riverside shared route because I don't trust those bus drivers and they routinely travel at 35 in the 20 zone.
The Clyde St / Broomielaw section certainly has its faults - and it's clear that many cyclists don't realise that it is westbound only. Much better than not being there though.

I've been a big fan of the buslink section, but yesterday an C19 overtook within about 6 inches of me - and it was quite deliberate.

It is pretty piecemeal but so much better than it all was when I was commuting into town in the late 80's.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As I understand it, Norfolk County Council have spent 125% of tranche 1 closing one road and changing the one way in another (to stop it being a through route) in Norwich city centre. Meanwhile, NCC contractors seem to be tar-and-chipping every road cycle route (and badly, with deep drifts) and West Norfolk Borough continue with their attempts to put motor carriageways on cycling corridors into King's Lynn and NCC don't even object.

• Sad
Reactions: C R

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Round here they coned off various lanes and closed a few roads in one direction. The cones were so effective you were unable to get the bicycle into the lane,plus getting to the temporary infrastructure was not made easier, so you still had to take your life in your hands crossing the narrow bridge on the trunk road. Unsurprisingly they only lasted a month before being ripped out. The money would have been better spent on fixing the existing crap infrastructure.

C R

Guru
I think a proper investment in driver education and enforcement would produce much better results, but that takes time and effort, whereas sending out the road paint truck which they have in stand by anyway is trivial.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Round here they coned off various lanes and closed a few roads in one direction. The cones were so effective you were unable to get the bicycle into the lane,plus getting to the temporary infrastructure was not made easier, so you still had to take your life in your hands crossing the narrow bridge on the trunk road. Unsurprisingly they only lasted a month before being ripped out. The money would have been better spent on fixing the existing crap infrastructure.

Near where I live, there are long term (2+ years) major road works. They recently made a quite effective "temporary" cycle lane, to separate cyclists from the motor traffic. Only problem was, they continued the separating concrete blocks across all possible entry/exit points, except the very beginning and very end (a distance of about five miles. So, providing you want to go the whole distance, it is fine, if not, your choices are, climb over the concrete barrier, with your bicycle, or, ride with the traffic.

I have pointed out this lunacy to my local Councillor (she is investigating). ;)

Top Bottom