What's your lot doing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
There is but the good bits aren’t joined up. So you’ll be enjoying some new fit for purpose infrastructure, then it just ends.

OP
OP
G3CWI

G3CWI

Veteran
Sadly here in Cheshire East many of the proposed schemes due for implementation on 12 August have either been dropped or are being held under further consideration. Quite a few were just plain daft ideas that gained no support from anyone. In part this is because there is no overall vision. I dispair.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The regional press has published a list of Norfolk's schemes from some document I can't find. I agree with my colleague from Norwich Cycling Campaign that these look like piddling irrelevances (but he puts it more diplomatically than me!). Norfolk County Council will be lucky if they only lose 25% of their funding again for being shockingly unambitious. https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politi...ttle-too-late-say-cycle-campaigners-1-6789065

There are two King's Lynn and market town measures mentioned:
1. more cycle parking is welcome but what we really need is better ways to get to it!
2. upgrading "a pedestrian crossing in Gaywood Road, King’s Lynn" but the only one we've got is fine AFAIK and they only need to put it back to immediate-change-if-not-recently-activated instead of making us wait until the carriageway is clear or 60s has elapsed (whichever is shorter) which shouldn't cost £125,000.

There's loads of other things they could have done, including some of http://www.klwnbug.co.uk/space4cycling/needed/

A missed opportunity, like Richard Bearman said. :sad:

OP
OP
G3CWI

G3CWI

Veteran
Cheshire East seem to have completely lost the plot. They were awarded £155,000 and so far nothing to see for it. Sounds a lot of money but it’s divided between 10 conurbations. I suspect they will have to give it back in any case.

OP
OP
G3CWI

G3CWI

Veteran
No sign of anything here. The original things they did have been removed. I have emailed my local Councillors today to see if anything will actually happen. I fear the problem is democracy. Most people do like the idea of active transport but only if it does not inconvenience them and they don't have to do it themselves. When plans are put forward (even good ones) they object to them in large numbers and elected politicians simply cave in. Blocking roads to prevents rat runs are a case in point. Everyone would like to live in a quiet low traffic area unless the measures cause them even the slightest inconvenience. Local example below...

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Seems like locally and nationally this has been an unambitious balls up. The short term implementation in my area was a total joke that made things worse for everybody, especially cyclists. Enough people complained and the council have hidden away too scared to come out and do it properly with even half way decent design. This seems to be replicated over the whole country.

Drago

Legendary Member
On the plus side, these closures have had the Daily Mail readership frothing at the mouth and it's been enormous fun winding them up in the comments sectuon and seeing how many thumbs down I can score. 847 is my record to date.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
2. upgrading "a pedestrian crossing in Gaywood Road, King’s Lynn" but the only one we've got is fine AFAIK and they only need to put it back to immediate-change-if-not-recently-activated instead of making us wait until the carriageway is clear or 60s has elapsed (whichever is shorter) which shouldn't cost £125,000.
A follow-up on this one: it's been suggested to me that NCC might also use "Gaywood Road" for two stretches of road known locally by other names and one of those has a rubbish pedestrian crossing that leaves people stood waiting for a green man for far too long penned in by those evil crowd control fences, which isn't good at the moment. Fixing that road layout might cost lots. I guess we'll see if that's what they're planning.

I'd not do more there than the bare minimum of removing fences, repainting roads and retiming lights, to get the most benefit per pound and have some left for other projects, but that's not how NCC seem to work.

Drago

Legendary Member
in nearby Craphampton, there is a really nasty road was deadly cycle lanes that ran right through the door zone of adjacent car parking bays.

In order to try and alleviate congestion around the town centre, and to improve safety for cyclists, has been a proposal to turn this into part of a proposed new one-way system, which means the full width of the road can be used for a single traffic stream with proper space for bicycles.

I'm not sure it'll happen. The first indignant counsellor to make it to the media said " I'm a big supporter of cycling and walking, but..."

on taking the translation to mean " if officially asked, I'm a big supporter of cycling and walking, but neither cycle nor myself, and don't wish to see anything which would inconvenience me slightly while driving 500 m in my Jag regardless of how much it may make cycling safer."

Reactions: C R

AndyRM

XOXO
Round my way, they have turned the coastal road between Whitley Bay and Tynemouth into a single, one way route with one lane of the road now solely for use by cyclists. It's absolute madness, especially when there was already a wide shared use path there in the first place.

tom73

Guru
Having asked about better cycling provision for covid and post covid and told am a Zealot. The clowns have now surpassed themselves having used fear of motorway tails-backs. To build extra road in the place of an urban park near it for the traffic coming off it. They now plan to build a new motorway junction to bypass the one they had fear about. :wacko:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Given the incompetence of Suffolk County Council, thankfully the've done nothing in Felixstowe apart from closing the main shopping area to traffic between 10am and 4pm. As this was already a shared space it just gives the pedestrians more space for part of the day.

However in Ipswich a couple of rat runs off Valley Road/Colchester Road have been closed to through traffic which only benefits the residents as I've never seen a cyclist turn off into them, Portman Road has been closed to allow cyclists a traffic free access to the town centre from the rail station area, but it seems like most prefer the more direct route. The waterfront area has also been made vehicle free, but with priority to pedestrians and a separate short cut through road blocked to cars has the barrier (a large wooden planter) placed so badly it's difficult to avoid.

Finally, on Valley Road which is the best route round the top of town, a perfectly useable solid white lined cycle lane has had plastic wand bollards placed along most of the route - including right up to the roundabout junctions putting you right where you dont want to be. In the past couple of times I've been out there, a section was covered in broken glass which couldn't be avoided due to the placement of the bollards and another area is so full of acorns, pine cones and other tree debris it is unuseable. It's been reported and needs sweeping but due to the bollards...

To give them a small bit of credit, they have added a solid lined cycle lane both ways between the Hospital and St. Augutine's roudabout which does work well.

Top Bottom