What's your lot doing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G3CWI

G3CWI

Veteran
sending out the road paint truck which they have in stand by anyway is trivial
Not only that but dashed lines are cheaper than solid ones.

• Sad
Reactions: C R
OP
OP
G3CWI

G3CWI

Veteran
Because that would mean having to do the job properly, and that takes effort. Cynic, moi?
The other day I heard that a Councillor was having his own private discussions with a developer about putting in some cycling infrastructure (s106 agreement I expect). The Councillor is not a cyclist and no doubt will reveal all with a triumphant flourish. It may be great but realistically the odds are against it.

• Sad
Reactions: C R

C R

Guru
The other day I heard that a Councillor was having his own private discussions with a developer about putting in some cycling infrastructure (s106 agreement I expect). The Councillor is not a cyclist and no doubt will reveal all with a triumphant flourish. It may be great but realistically the odds are against it.
That's the other thing, for a lot of people asking means admitting there's some they don't know, and their ego can't take that.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think a proper investment in driver education and enforcement would produce much better results, but that takes time and effort, whereas sending out the road paint truck which they have in stand by anyway is trivial.
A proper investment in most cycling things (except more flipping encouragement adverts) would be better, but we don't do cycling properly in the UK yet. Wake me up when the Cycleway budget is more than a quarter of the motorway budget and we'll have something worth talking about.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I often wonder who comes up with these ideas and why they don't ask potential users?
I'm sure I've noted before that they do ask potential users.

And then mostly they tell us why we're wrong and build the crap anyway.

And then say that spending any more on cycling is a waste of time because we don't even use the crap.

(Sorry. I'm tired, rode a Sustrans route in full last week and in full cynic mode this evening.)

snorri

Legendary Member
Nothing in my area((
i wrote to my councillors(3) expressing disappointment that the council appeared to have no plans to spend any money and one replied to say she would write a letter to somebody but nothing more has been heard.
When the second tranche of money was awarded i wrote again to my councillors and also to the councillors for the adjacent ward which is my shopping area. By this time existing joint user paths were becoming unusable due to overhanging and surface vegetation had not being cut back. I expressed concern that as other areas were enjoying benefits of the government grants our area was suffering deterioration. I had a reply from one councillor telling me about Covid and asking me if I thought that might be the answer to the problems:evil:

Drago

Legendary Member
Our lot are in trouble. The government gave them a couple of million in emergency virus funding, on the strict understanding that the money spent must directly contribute to the goal of greater uptake of sustainable travel.

Ok, good news, youd think.

The first 70 grand they spent was on a posh set of traffic coubters that side beside a couple of cycle paths and proudly proclaim how many people have cycle or walked (or zipped past on an illegal motorbike) that day.

The government have told them they now have to repay 70 grand of the 2 mill...

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Come over to Hull where the way the council are talking, you'd think they had discovered the solution to the worlds problems. Car drivers on the other hand...all it's been in the local rag for the past month or two, virtually every day there is something "new", is drivers moaning about the gridlock it's causing. I put a comment on another thread on here when it was all announced, within 3 days there were almost 300 comments, nearly all complaining. There are plenty of cyclist around here (sorry, people who ride bikes ie through red lights, on pavements, etc.) but I can't see it's going to make any real difference.

snorri

Legendary Member
I expressed concern that as other areas were enjoying benefits of the government grants our area was suffering deterioration. I had a reply from one councillor telling me about Covid and asking me if I thought that might be the answer to the problems:evil:
I wrote again to that councillor telling her that it was due to Covid that the Council had received extra funding from government to encourage Active Travel and asking why the money was not being spent and where has it all gone. No response so far.

Drago

Legendary Member
I wrote again to that councillor telling her that it was due to Covid that the Council had received extra funding from government to encourage Active Travel and asking why the money was not being spent and where has it all gone. No response so far.
Send them a FOI request - they have to answer you then.

Last edited:

Juliansou

Hi all,
been out for a spin in Chelmsford (Essex) today to pick up a few bits & pieces.
I was really impressed to see new segregated cycle/pedestrian lanes, a couple of nice new bike lanes and a bizarre ramp system on an underpass to wheel your bike up! All in all it seems like they’ve spent some money.
Is there any evidence of other local authorities taking this seriously? There seems to be a bit of funding floating about for this, although locally to me they have done nothing!

Top Bottom