What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
Rode the The Capitals of East Anglia 300 yesterday - little damp in places but no wind all day!

View attachment 598508
View attachment 598507

I really like the look of that. Ideal for a first 300. On my list for next year all being well.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Howdya get on? Didn't see you after the 1st (dark) control, rumour was you rode to Tavistock and back.(EDIT: ) there were only 12 finishers out of 33 starters, in case anyone wants to put Ming's ride into context! That's the lowest rate I've seen on a long event.

I actually decided to pack at Tavistock* - had a long sleep in cottage/flat, then rode to Lands-End. Proper monsoon rain there, but I'm glad I got to the main "destination" of the ride. Sleeper train to Exeter, restarted there (with about 300km to go) at 1am to finish with the other late arrivals. 800-odd km in 72 hours was still quite hard!

*My deraiileur had partially seized, and the Dartmoor hills were lovely but totally killed my legs with the reduced gear-set available <fx:violins>.

A Grand Ride to the Seaside :smile:

The rumour is true.

Here is what I did , after a bivvy in a barn just outside Tavistock. Struck north to old A30 and Okehampton then followed the return tracks back to the finish. My gears were low enough to cope with Dartmoor but not conducive to maintaining any decent average speed. My legs like yours were quite tired by then.

I was bit slack with my time management at controls. Combined with a slower average speed than I see on my “usual” audaxes. It put me near the limit at Tavistock and in desperate need of a sleep. I can’t do these rides without a sleep. Sleep won, then the aim was to ride back without needing to use the train.

It was the distance below in 63 hours elapsed in the end. Now if I can just do a hilly 300 in 12 hours I’d have managed to carry on and complete this in time 😀

No mechanicals or punctures.

The recumbent for comfort was great. Just tired legs when going up some hills today. But not going to wear briefs (with strong elastic) on long audax. They rubbed. So back to merino boxers which is what I usually wear on the recumbent for audax.

0C0E9C8E-0593-4212-8FC6-6012BBDE5D3A.jpeg

Last edited:

lane

Veteran
The Audax I am doing tomorrow is limited to 30 riders, no food at start or finish, only 2
inside for the toilet at a time, set off in groups of 6 and all controls are information controls. Seems to be fairly on the safe side. More so than a local club ride.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
My next is tomorrow, except I'm not actually riding it & it's not an AUK event.
I'm supporting no.40 in the National 24hr which, as you know, has Audax points.
Anyone want to guess his final mileage?

Top Bottom