What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Solocle

Über Member
If all goes to plan, I'll set out early tomorrow morning on this DIY route (not getting it validated).
1620507183204.png

200 km of easy navigation, with the first 100k being tailwind, then 100k cross-headwind drag. Hopefully a reasonable test of the bike setup, and a stepping stone to longer.

See how I feel about the 50k back home, I can get a lift if I'm not feeling up to it.

Solocle

Über Member
Well, I've actually been planning the logistics of this route, with an eye on the bank holiday weekend!
A3191B98-A12F-4FFD-9F8B-4B5C1AA17561.png

I do suspect that I'll probably end up bailing at either Warwick or Leicester, and I'll definitely be behind pace - if nothing else, to get a sleep stop at Leicester, then hit the A46 at 5am on Sunday Morning.

EDIT:
1621716481507.png

Some logistical changes, and it won't be at randonneur pace, particularly given the copious amout of sleeping. But both days after the gentle ride up on the Thursday night are over 200 km (it's effectively 50-250-210).
I very much suspect that I will have had enough at Leicester - accommodation is now booked at Leicester Forest East services. On the other hand, I've felt OK (relatively speaking) after 250 km of a 500k attempt (Cambridge on the Full Fat Festive 500). Having a goal that wasn't just going back to the start helped, so I think the psychology of this route should work in my favour.
Working against me, virtually everything else, particularly that I haven't done a randonnee since the end of 2019.
1621716886553.png

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I'm riding the Wiggy Father's Day 100 audax this Sunday near York, but the 3rd July Rutland & Back 200 has been cancelled and moved to 2022 :sad:

There are very few weekends I'm available between now and next year due to my son's racing commitments so I'll probably go and do a long ride anyway on the 3rd.
I’m glad you mentioned about Rutland & Back as I hadn’t received notification it’s been postponed until next year!

I am disappointed as I was very much looking forward to it. :sad:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Ah ha! I’ve found the email lurking in a spam folder. Event cancelled due to the HQ venue remaining closed.

There’s a pub just around the corner which I know is open… would be ideal…

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
1st rule of Audax prep: as soon as you print the route-sheet out - no matter how late - the organiser will send out an amendment.
Had you spent an hour reformatting it to print it out the right size for your personal route sheet holding doodad?

:laugh:
Been there, done that ...
Luckily I can't be arsed these days, now that I depend on my GPS #notaproperaudaxer . Of course this is better than photocopied RS amendments handed out with your Brevet Card on the morning 🤦‍♀️

I've also started a 600 where the organiser announced two massive changes to the route/controls AS WE GATHERED IN THE CARPARK TO START!!!

Next one is London Lands End London 1000 now distance limits confirmed as removed. That’s 7th July. I’d normally have 400 and 600 events in build up. But it been a funny last 15 months!
Howdya get on? Didn't see you after the 1st (dark) control, rumour was you rode to Tavistock and back.(EDIT: ) there were only 12 finishers out of 33 starters, in case anyone wants to put Ming's ride into context! That's the lowest rate I've seen on a long event.

I actually decided to pack at Tavistock* - had a long sleep in cottage/flat, then rode to Lands-End. Proper monsoon rain there, but I'm glad I got to the main "destination" of the ride. Sleeper train to Exeter, restarted there (with about 300km to go) at 1am to finish with the other late arrivals. 800-odd km in 72 hours was still quite hard!

*My deraiileur had partially seized, and the Dartmoor hills were lovely but totally killed my legs with the reduced gear-set available <fx:violins>.

A Grand Ride to the Seaside :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom