What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
Some calendar events are open for entry on the AUK website. Just signed up for an event at the beginning of July. :hyper:

An event I signed up for last year that was postponed to this year is still marked as suspended. It may still go ahead as it's in May... fingers crossed šŸ¤ž

Exactly the same here got my entry in for a 200km in July - had entered last year but did not go ahead. Plenty of time to regain my fitness.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I've gone and entered a 300 (I don't think anyone is allowed to open entries to longer rides yet?): Old Roads from Exeter-ish. May bank holiday Sat - hopefully visit ag-ed relative on the Sunday!

Annoyingly my local perms are not yet open - would like to do one on March29th as a celebration of the return of events :smile:

( I *might* do an SR of 4 different length events, but without a 200. I've IDed suitable events in the calendar, just waiting for them to open ... Has anyone looked at WillPom's crazy Bristol-Glasgow-Bristol??)

Perms should be open for entry from March 22nd.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Tell us about your DIY 200km

Itā€™s a loop north up through Cambridgeshire and touching a bit of Bedfordshire, (possibly Northamptonshire as well) before returning back into Hertfordshire. Itā€™ll be a relatively flat one compared to what Iā€™m used to. But will work as a reintroduction to 200km, my last one being early December.

I will be doing validation by GPS. So will likely carry all the food I need for the ride and top up water if necessary.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Citation please, oh great Emperor! :smile:
(this is the latest I've seen: http://forum.audax.uk/index.php?topic=2032.msg16349#msg16349 )

I am an organiser of both calendar and permanent events. I have an email from the Permanents Secretary stating it as thus.

ā€In order to allow for the validation of eligible Permanent events up to 300km distance for up to 6 riders per event route per day in England, and Permanent events up to 200km distance for up to 2 riders per event route per day in Wales from 29th March, I shall un-suspend entry to these events during the week 22nd to 28th March.ā€

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Has anyone looked at WillPom's crazy Bristol-Glasgow-Bristol??
I had a look at this, and wow! I am no where near ready to do something like this. I'm not saying never, I am saying not now. I would need to become much, much fitter to even attempt it.

1,600km total and ~24,000m of elevation. Self-supported = extra weight = more challenging ride.

To quote my kids, 'that would be awesome!' :becool:

Link to event

And if anyone were to ask me, 'Why?', my answer would be, 'Because.' :okay:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I had a look at this, and wow! I am no where near ready to do something like this. I'm not saying never, I am saying not now. I would need to become much, much fitter to even attempt it.

1,600km total and ~24,000m of elevation. Self-supported = extra weight = more challenging ride.

To quote my kids, 'that would be awesome!' :becool:

Link to event

And if anyone were to ask me, 'Why?', my answer would be, 'Because.' :okay:

The overall min average speed does drop to 12 km/h though. So provided youā€™re getting enough sleep each night to recover sufficiently. You may surprise yourself. In some ways the longer rides are easier if you are a diesel that can just keep going going and going despite a lack of speed.

As to self supported just use booking.com or travel lodge etc to sort out sleep spots. You donā€™t have to take a tent!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
A 93km ride yesterday, and 113km ride today. Legs felt good. Ready for a return to 200km audaxes next week.

Top Bottom