What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I need at least a 400 for this year's SR. Can't do my own (sending the riders off tomorrow) unless I ride the perm version later.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
...and I've just entered the perm version and booked a train home afterwards. That's the end of this week taken care of.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm entered in Oh to be in Kent on Saturday. A lumpy (2300m) 200k. https://audax.uk/event-details/9870-oh_to_be_in_kent

The only problem is that the trains are on strike, so my cowardly plan to ride 100 miles to Sevenoaks and get the train home will be scuppered. As will all the train bailouts that I've identified for bona fide emergencies. Hmmm. :scratch:

The slog for the last 40k through the burbs should be doable, if a bit miserable.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm entered in Oh to be in Kent on Saturday. A lumpy (2300m) 200k. https://audax.uk/event-details/9870-oh_to_be_in_kent

The only problem is that the trains are on strike, so my cowardly plan to ride 100 miles to Sevenoaks and get the train home will be scuppered. As will all the train bailouts that I've identified for bona fide emergencies. Hmmm. :scratch:

The slog for the last 40k through the burbs should be doable, if a bit miserable.

Well, I did it. Everything went swimmingly, my legs didn't fall off and I had a great ride.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've been a bit lazy since my SR got done surprisingly early. But friend is organising a DIY 200 and it would be rude not to accept the invitation.
And then I need to ride a modified version of my 400 just to check the routesheet. That might be a few weeks off.

OneCogDown

:notworthy:Dogtrousers-Oh to be in Kent.
Burgh Hill after the Burwash control had me spinning and the grind from Otford up to the start of PolHill, after 180k, got a bit sweary. Other than that nice scenic route,, ignoring the south circular which never fails to deliver drama; plus it was a good spread put on at the Hartfield stop:okay:.
My longest ride at 249km all in.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
:notworthy:Dogtrousers-Oh to be in Kent.
Burgh Hill after the Burwash control had me spinning and the grind from Otford up to the start of PolHill, after 180k, got a bit sweary. Other than that nice scenic route,, ignoring the south circular which never fails to deliver drama; plus it was a good spread put on at the Hartfield stop:okay:.
My longest ride at 249km all in.

I was the one in the Mondrian pattern La Vie Claire jersey.

I had an absolute blast. I got round in 12 hr 1 minute, which meant I got to the Velodrome before it closed, which was my target. I loved the route, up until the start of Polhill at least. Once inside the M25, climbing Polhill and riding the A21 cyclepath it was all a bit of a necessary evil to get to the finish, but as I was feeling pretty good it wasn't too bad.

I have to own up to a bit of local knowledge "cheating". I saw the route snaked off through Hever and Markbeech on the way to the first control at Hartfield, whereas it was much quicker and easier to just go straight through Edenbridge, which is my usual route, and is what I did. My excuse was, having DNF'd my previous 200, I didn't want to be doing any unnecessary climbs.

I was a bit miffed when I got home and looked at my photos of the velodrome I saw a little sign saying "Dulwich Audax Chilli" with an arrow. I didn't notice that and no one told me about it so I missed out. But I had a big meal waiting for me at home just a short ride away so I suppose I have no real cause to complain there.

Action shot of racing at the Velodrome arivée
1661182731304.png

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
As I'm slowly recovering from Covid and son no. 2 is off to university shortly I've entered the following 200km events:

17 Sept - Straight on at Rosies 2
24 Sept - Venetian Nights. I've actually entered this three times before and never yet ridden it due to a range of circumstances :tired:
13 Nov - Eureka. One of my favourites, although it always seems to :rain:just at the end.

Then, as PBP qualifiers I've entered:

4 Mar - 200km - Alfreton to Wrags
15 Apr - 300km - To The Chapel
13 May - 400km - Moors and Wolds
3/4 June - 600km - 9 Counties

This year showed I really wasn't ready for a 300 or 400, needing a second 400 to be OK. Then I got Covid and missed both 600's so no SR series for me in 2022 :sad:

The likelihood is I'll add other 200/300/400/600 as well to have a better chance of PBP qualification. Both previous times I've qualified - 2015 and 2019 but only rode in 2015 due to personal circumstances - it's been with a single 200/300/400/600 entry each time. One DNF, and I've nearly had a couple, would have meant no qualification.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Likely a DIY 300 end of Oct to complete my SR for this year. I am riding the draft route of my new 600 earlier in Oct, but over a few days as a tour with plenty of time to make notes as I go. There’s some winter 100s I haven’t done before as I’ve been busy with RRTY; I might ride those this time round.

My PBP qualifiers will be my own events.

Last edited:

OneCogDown

After a troubled DNF last year I made it around yesterday's Crown & Anchor 2022 edition. A very different experience as the weather was kind and I made some changes to the bike.
Despite a drenching for the first two hours along with a puncture which meant removal of the whole saddlebag to find the spare tube in driving rain; a gentle breeze from Dover all around to Dungeness helped, then it picked up on the flatlands around the bay to Hastings, the sun broke through as we headed north and glorious sunset over the rolling countryside around Sissinghurst. Just a couple of hours in the dark as we closed on the "arrive".
Should either Andy or Paul chance upon my post then :okay:, thank you for your efforts on the flatlands express and encouragement on the lumpier return into Kent. Talk of hot soup and bread awaiting us became increasingly frequent as we topped 2000m climb and I can report to Paul that the choice was Hot spicy Butternut squash or Sausage casserole in Tomato.
Thanks to San Fairy Ann CC for organising and the start/finish food.

Top Bottom