What's your worst cycling experience?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I can top that - link! :eek:

:eek: Indeed!

asterix

Comrade Member
Running into a car door some kind chap opened for me. Woke up in ICU 24 hours and a 40 mile ambulance trip later with fractured skull and sub-dural haematoma. Due to low pulse - my resting pulse is normally 47 ish - they thought I was nearly terminal. I left hospital after a week or so, allegedly ok but I had suffered some cognitive impairment of which I was unaware and which meant my concentration was not as focussed as it should have been. Result was another accident in which I broke my spine in 3 places, 2 neck 1 back and spent a few months in hospital this time. Not long after discharge I had neuro-psychological tests that identified the damage in the first collision and resulted in a very substantial damages award.

Now aware that I have to concentrate a bit harder, I have completed numerous cycle rides, including the raid Pyrenean a couple of times, with no further mishaps. Before the 1st accident I had a virtually incident-free cycling career over 25 years.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Running into a car door some kind chap opened for me. Woke up in ICU 24 hours and a 40 mile ambulance trip later with fractured skull and sub-dural haematoma. Due to low pulse - my resting pulse is normally 47 ish - they thought I was nearly terminal. I left hospital after a week or so, allegedly ok but I had suffered some cognitive impairment of which I was unaware and which meant my concentration was not as focussed as it should have been. Result was another accident in which I broke my spine in 3 places, 2 neck 1 back and spent a few months in hospital this time. Not long after discharge I had neuro-psychological tests that identified the damage in the first collision and resulted in a very substantial damages award.

Now aware that I have to concentrate a bit harder, I have completed numerous cycle rides, including the raid Pyrenean a couple of times, with no further mishaps. Before the 1st accident I had a virtually incident-free cycling career over 25 years.
Blimey - you are lucky to still be with us, let alone riding a bike!

Your mention of low pulse rate reminds me ... When I am fit, I have a very low resting pulse rate (RPR) of about 34-35 bpm. (It is currently up at about 60, but I'm still overweight and not well.) I keep meaning to buy a medical bracelet and have my RPR inscribed on it, in case of emergency. That also reminds me - I am on Warfarin for blood clots and I keep forgetting to carry the notification card with me, which I should do at all times.

Maz

Guru
Paul Davies unfortunately was killed in a drunken brawl at his sisters wedding, some long term family feud erupted and ended with him being stabbed in the heart, he was 21

Arther Robinson (who caused the pile up) passed away from a brain hemorrhage about 10 years ago, he was 39
That is just awful. Can't say any more than that, really!

Top Bottom