wheel laced off centre, why

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I can see the idea of off centre lacing is not just a one off, thus acceptable, it would be nice to for
manufacturers to state the offset distance, to help us when we need to source a replacement wheel, and on that note, how does one determine what wheel will fit
it one wanted to upgrade., I can tell you there is an awful lot of tyre hanging on either side of the rims on the ADV, mu agwa had wider wheel rims, and wider tyres and no such balloon on either side of the rim
Any replacement wheel will be constructed so that the centre line of the rim is centred on the mid-point between the two lock nuts. The OP is mithering about issues that aren't issues, imo. Just make sure the OLD is correct for the rear dropouts. (Note; cross post with @smutchin and @si_c )
If the OP wants wider rims, get a wheel with wider rims and don't waste time "I can tell you there is an awful lot of tyre hanging on either side of the rims on the ADV".
Wheels:
  • Boardman ADV Tubeless Ready
  • Formula QR
  • Boardman Asymmetric Adventure Tubeless Ready Rims
  • Schwalbe G-One speed, 700x38c, raceguard, folding bead
Don't know what the inner rim width is on these but probably 19mm, maybe 17mm. 38-622 tyres should be fine, despite the OP's perception. I think the Voodoo Agwa's wheels were designed to cope with wider tyres.
From Sheldon: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
"A general guideline is that the tire width should be between 1.45/2.0 x the inner rim width."
bead-seat-diameter.jpg

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The purpose of dishing a wheel is to centre the rim on the axle-ends when the hub flanges are offset for whatever reason. As long as the rim is central to the axle ends any wheel will fit (with a few exceptions such as offset rear triangles).

OP
OP
U

User65906

Any replacement wheel will be constructed so that the centre line of the rim is centred on the mid-point between the two lock nuts. The OP is mithering about issues that aren't issues, imo. Just make sure the OLD is correct for the rear dropouts. (Note; cross post with @smutchin and @si_c )
If the OP wants wider rims, get a wheel with wider rims and don't waste time "I can tell you there is an awful lot of tyre hanging on either side of the rims on the ADV".
Wheels:
  • Boardman ADV Tubeless Ready
  • Formula QR
  • Boardman Asymmetric Adventure Tubeless Ready Rims
  • Schwalbe G-One speed, 700x38c, raceguard, folding bead
Don't know what the inner rim width is on these but probably 19mm, maybe 17mm. 38-622 tyres should be fine, despite the OP's perception. I think the Voodoo Agwa's wheels were designed to cope with wider tyres.
From Sheldon: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
"A general guideline is that the tire width should be between 1.45/2.0 x the inner rim width."
View attachment 410303
Not mithering at all, discussing a set of wheels that are off set,
not interested in wider tyres,
not interested in wasting time either, where ever you got that idea.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The purpose of dishing a wheel is to centre the rim on the axle-ends when the hub flanges are offset for whatever reason.

Presumably a rim with offset spoke holes will be designed to match to a particular hub, given how variable flange spacing/offset can be. (This is just a guess, I may be talking out of my hat.)

Ajax Bay

Guru
discussing a set of wheels that are off set,
not interested in wider tyres,
The wheels are not 'off set' - they are centred in the frame / on the hub. The rims are asymmetrically drilled.
Offset is a dimension which describes the distance of a line between the front wheel axle perpendicular to a line extended through the axis of the head tube, sometimes also known as 'rake'. Together with head tube angle it affects the steering characteristics of a cycle/tandem.
You expressed angst over "an awful lot of tyre hanging on either side of the rims" so I suggested you just procure wheels with sufficiently wide rims. I suggested nothing about anyone's wish for wider tyres.

OP
OP
U

User65906

The wheels are not 'off set' - they are centred in the frame / on the hub. The rims are asymmetrically drilled.
Offset is a dimension which describes the distance of a line between the front wheel axle perpendicular to a line extended through the axis of the head tube, sometimes also known as 'rake'. Together with head tube angle it affects the steering characteristics of a cycle/tandem.
You expressed angst over "an awful lot of tyre hanging on either side of the rims" so I suggested you just procure wheels with sufficiently wide rims. I suggested nothing about anyone's wish for wider tyres.
It is only the fact the wheels are laced to one side of the rim
more than the other that I did not understand, this is the off set I refer to, not talking about head tube or rake.
Until I posted here, I had no idea such wheels existed, though I do see many reasons for having such a layout,
I just wanted to make sure I was not looking into buying an odd ball of a wheel set.

But I can see now this is not going to much of an issue, as the wheel runs in the centre of the frame,
so any wheel that fits the frame will be ok, other than ensuring the brake disk aligns with the callipers,
which I can easily address by machining a bracket if ever required.

Top Bottom