Wheelchair wheel problem - any top tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My mate's wheelchair wheel solid tyre has come adrift, and is proving a bit of a challenge:

1598695767066.png

1598695822803.png

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks if you can help.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
A bit of hot water on the tyre to soften it up and maybe some washing up liquid for lubrication of the flange (fnar fnuk etc.).

classic33

Leg End Member
Remove the wheel, and tyre.
Place the tyre in warm water, giving it time to warm the tyre.
Then try refitting.

Increase the water temperature if it doesn't go on the first time. Mindful of the fact that you'll be handling it.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I think the best suggestions are already covered (remove wheel and warm the tyre) but also investigate why it came off in the first place. Was there an abnormal event that caused the tyre to come off? Check the tyre carefully for any cuts or splits that have allowed it to deform and fall off the wheel.

if you do end up replacing the wheel with a new one i suggest you do both as a matching pair. :okay:

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The YT vid looks like the biz - gonna try that. Perhaps a bit of heating if it proves necessary. Thanks all.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
After the tyre is replaced, check that the wheel castors freely. If it's binding, that could have contributed to the tyre detaching.
THIS^^^^^^^
I hadn't given it much thought after my suggestion above to investigate, but I reckon @DaveReading has hit the nail on the head with this suggestion. The castors are likely jamming at an angle to the direction of travel and the tyre has been rolled off the rim.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
THIS^^^^^^^
I hadn't given it much thought after my suggestion above to investigate, but I reckon @DaveReading has hit the nail on the head with this suggestion. The castors are likely jamming at an angle to the direction of travel and the tyre has been rolled off the rim.
Apparently his foot got tangled somehow. His MS makes his feet do odd things sometimes. He was very grateful for the help, and is going to take a crack at the YT approach.

Top Bottom