Wheels for crit racing/upgrade - so confusing!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LewisLondon

HELP! Wheels - exceptionally confusing! I'm looking at upgrading my stock wheels on my Giant TCR, for a budget of up to £500, but have absolutely no idea with so many options/recommendations. I think I want to go as aero as possible for crit racing (only 4th cat), but seem to be numerous options. Some of these I've come across are:

Club roost 50mm rims (carbon) https://www.buyabike.co.uk/club-roost-fcr50-full-carbon-9-1…

Pro lite bracciano a42 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pro-lite-bracciano-a42-alloy-clinc…/

Superstar components (38mm and by far the cheapest) http://www.superstarcomponents.com/…/elite-38-ultra-11speed…

Fulcrum racing quattro (bit more of a name) (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-racing-quattro-lg-alloy-c…/…)

Are there any others I should consider/ignore? Or do I look at handbuilt wheels (and if so, who?!)

Absolutely any help is appreciated. I'm aware going for 38mm-50mm rims won't make me 10mph quicker, so it's partly for my own vanity, but every little helps!

S-Express

I think I want to go as aero as possible for crit racing (only 4th cat),

Aero offers little benefit in bunch racing, generally speaking. Go for light, stiff wheels, rather than aero specifically.

Another thing to consider is if you are on the small size like me a deeper rim can have you been blown all over the place in a crosswind. I have a set of 50mm and a set of 32 mm for racing. If its windy I use the 32's . If I could only have one set it would be the 32's.
For commuting I bought a set of Superstar wheels not the ones you have shown but the ARC ones which are also very light for the money. I had to send the rear one back straight away as it was dished to the left. They sorted it quickly though and they are just as light ( actually a tiny bit lighter) and seem just as good ( hard to quantify good without a lab but I'll just plumb for feel) to me if not better than my Shimao Ultegra or Mavic Ksyrium equippe wheels.

OP
OP
L

LewisLondon

Aero offers little benefit in bunch racing, generally speaking. Go for light, stiff wheels, rather than aero specifically.
Interesting, hadn't thought out about that! This just complicates it more :sad:

Another thing to consider is if you are on the small size like me a deeper rim can have you been blown all over the place in a crosswind. I have a set of 50mm and a set of 32 mm for racing. If its windy I use the 32's . If I could only have one set it would be the 32's.
For commuting I bought a set of Superstar wheels not the ones you have shown but the ARC ones which are also very light for the money. I had to send the rear one back straight away as it was dished to the left. They sorted it quickly though and they are just as light ( actually a tiny bit lighter) and seem just as good ( hard to quantify good without a lab but I'll just plumb for feel) to me if not better than my Shimao Ultegra or Mavic Ksyrium equippe wheels.

Ahh ok! I'm not overly light (mid 70's) but hadn't thought about it. I have heard mixed reviews of the superstar, but not many specific reviews of the Elite which is what worried me! If lots of people pointed out they were brilliant they are cheap enough to gamble on!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I raced last season on a set of Superstar Elite 30 wheels, crits and road racing. I also used them for training and commuting and they have been fine. For the money you won't find much that compete. I had to replace the bearings on the front wheel after 7000 miles and had a spoke go in one sprint, but that is all.

Another thing to consider is secondhand, My Dura Ace C50's ( Tubs) were a set of used only once or twice off ebay 400 quid complete with new tyres just glued on ( normally around 1200, the bearings are like silk very nice to ride on) or scour offers for clearance stock, my Reynolds Attacks were 10 speed specific described as new old stock, so fairly old ,narrower rim than more modern and would not take a 11 speed cassette and were again around the 400 quid.

OP
OP
L

LewisLondon

Interesting about the superstars! Heard mnixed reviews about the width of the rims, this is even more confusing. Harry, if i find some good second hand i'll be all over them!

I've also had Hunt wheels (https://www.huntbikewheels.com/coll...n-aero-wide-road-wheelset-1480g-31deep-24wide) and Cero wheels (either the original AR30 or the new AR30 Evo with wider rims) recommended. You know, just to help me decide :s

OP
OP
L

LewisLondon

Gone for the £140 Superstar 31mm wheels, lets see how these stack up then. So much cheaper than the other similar options and lots of good reviews, so thought it's worth a gamble...

OP
OP
L

LewisLondon

I did indeed thanks Milkfloat! £140 down from £199 , down from (theoretically) £449, although i doubt they were ever sold at that price!

Top Bottom