Wheels - Lightweight ? Hunt or Zonda's ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nytsom

Thinking of getting some new lightweight wheels; been looking at the Campagnolo Zondas (shimano Hub) or the new Hunt-Aero 23mm wide and 28mm deep? Anyone use these wheels? what do you think of them; how they roll; which is best for climbing etc...?
Thanks

bpsmith

Veteran
Had Zonda’s for a couple of years, before they got damaged. Very good wheels for the price. Had no complaints whatsoever. Nice and stiff, so as not to flex when out of the saddle climbing, but not uncomfortable.

Now got Campagnolo Eurus, as they were a steal, else I would have bought another set of Zonda’s.

Can’t comment on the Hunt unfortunately.

Heigue'r

Veteran
98kgs on zondas,have hit a fair few bumps and potholes now.My set have close to 4000 miles on them now and are as true as the day I got them.No experience of the hunts

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
My Zondas have served me very well since 2010, well over 10k miles on them. Have a set of Hunt's disc wheels, they've been excellent as well.

OP
OP
Nytsom

Nytsom

Cero, was another wheel I'd considered? although I'm leaning more towards the Hunt Wheels they get some outstanding reviews.
I bought a set of Zonda Wheels for my daughters bike; she love them; and the do roll nicely.

OP
OP
Nytsom

Nytsom

I've got a pair of Hunt 4-season. Paid £389 for them. They're now £300. Am very pleased.

Note that Hunt has great service and great marketing, but they basically source stuff that anyone can from Taiwan.
I could have built the almost exactly same wheels myself (same hubs, spokes and rims) with this kit:
http://www.bdopcycling.com/DIY Alloy Road Disc Kit VI.asp

How would you rate them Value for money? I'm debating on Campag Zonda'S or the Hunt Aero's at £329

Heigue'r

Veteran
If I was buying again,I would be 100% buying something tubeless ready.If commuting,I would choose tubeless ready for sure.If for leisure,the zondas are lovely.

greenmark

Guru
How would you rate them Value for money? I'm debating on Campag Zonda'S or the Hunt Aero's at £329

I’m actually very pleased with my Hunt disc wheels. They are replacing some Kinesis wheels which were frankly too wobbly.

Hunt uses Novatec hubs, Kinlin rims and Pillar spokes. Based on the reviews I have seen about them, Novatec and Kinlin are very good value for their price point.

If value is your main concern, then may find that if you go to a wheel builder directly with the same specs then you may get something cheaper than Hunt. As far as I can make out and I might be wrong, the Aeros you are looking at are built with Novatec AS511SB front hub, Novatec FS522SB-11 rear, Kinlin xc279 rims and Pillar PSR aero spokes.

The comments in the video below seem to suggest that you may get cheaper if you spec the same things directly with some wheel builders. I did try the same for the Hunt wheels I eventually bought and could not find cheaper – but some of that was due to the additional shipping costs to where I live. Upon reflection I may have had better luck finding cheaper if I approached wheel builders in Taiwan, if I was prepared to accept lack of warranty.

Anyway - check out comments in the video below.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu2osdQL9MY

OP
OP
Nytsom

Nytsom

Think I'll go for the Hunt Aero 23,mm wide wheels.
My friend just ordered the Cero's AR 30's another nice set of wheels.
Thanks everyone for your replies; very much appreciated.
Regards
M

adscrim

Veteran
Think I'll go for the Hunt Aero 23,mm wide wheels.
My friend just ordered the Cero's AR 30's another nice set of wheels.
Thanks everyone for your replies; very much appreciated.
Regards
M
I've not used those particular wheels but I did get a pair of Hunt wheel last summer and I've been very pleased, both with service when purchasing and the actual wheels. I'd buy another pair of Hunts without a second thought.

Top Bottom