Wheels - where do I begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Here we go again.

Lots of advice will follow without a single question about your objectives.

Basically, wheel upgrades are wasteful extravagances which are always justified with pseudo-scientific reasons.

But if you don't believe me, read some of the most recent discussions on the topic.

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/wheels-upgrade.172274/
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-upgrade.179728/
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/wheel-upgrade.177144/post-3641658
Who cares, the OP asked about wheels as he wants to buy some!

FOR GODS SAKE LET US TALK ABOUT AND THEN BUY SOME WHEELS IF WE WANT TO!

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Thanks for your responses. I'm not a heavy rider, weighing in at 70kg. I want something a lot lighter (and nicer looking) than the standard Axis Classic the bike comes with. Budget below £200, I don't mind paying that little bit extra as I'm cycling around 80 miles a week and think a decent set of wheels will be worth it.
These could be just what you're after (although other wheels are available) I'm biased as I've just bought some!
http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/elite-30-wheelset-2024.htm
I've got a review thread running here
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/superstar-elite-30-ultra-wheelset.178881/

MikeW-71

Veteran
Going from bog-standard lowest-end wheels (such as usually found on sub £1k bikes) to something better will be a noticeable difference. Even something on the lines of Fulcrum 7 or Fulcrum 5 would be enough.

I then went from my Giant P-SL1 wheels (equivalent roughly to Fulcrum 7) to some Campag Zondas. The bike is now 250 grams lighter, but the actual difference on the road is much smaller than before. It seems that's the start of diminishing returns, so I won't be going above that level.

Going from bog-standard lowest-end wheels (such as usually found on sub £1k bikes) to something better will be a noticeable difference. Even something on the lines of Fulcrum 7 or Fulcrum 5 would be enough.

I then went from my Giant P-SL1 wheels (equivalent roughly to Fulcrum 7) to some Campag Zondas. The bike is now 250 grams lighter, but the actual difference on the road is much smaller than before. It seems that's the start of diminishing returns, so I won't be going above that level.
Really? What will you notice?

MikeW-71

Veteran
Easier to accelerate them, particularly because they are stiffer than the boggo wheels. They will go up shallow gradients easier/faster. The outright weight saving won't help until the gradient is very steep.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Really? What will you notice?

A reduction in your wheels being shite..

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Lots of factors to consider.

Budget
Intended use - commuting/weekend/leisure/lomng rides/hills/your weight

Commuting is a different requirement - you want something that's as robust as possible but not stupidly expensive as they will wear out - I go through the rims in 18 months.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
When I changed from the original wheels on my Defy 2 to a pair of wheels with Mavic CXP33 rims and Shimano 105 hubs, looking at Strava informed me that my time on my usual 10 mile commute, and in particular my times up hills, improved slightly. This without me putting in any more effort than usual on the daily ride to work. These wheels were less harsh/firm than the new Shimano RS11 wheels I have since put on as replacements.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Lol, I love these wheel threads :smile:

My thoughts are to avoid Shimano, Mavic can cause issues with freehubs and Campag seem to be popular but look plain wrong on a Shimano specced bike. I favour Fulcrums, of late. Racing Quattros but if you're a lightweight and want lighter wheels with a lower profile I would look at Racing 5's or 3's.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Lol, I love these wheel threads :smile:

My thoughts are to avoid Shimano, Mavic can cause issues with freehubs and Campag seem to be popular but look plain wrong on a Shimano specced bike. I favour Fulcrums, of late. Racing Quattros but if you're a lightweight and want lighter wheels with a lower profile I would look at Racing 5's or 3's.

By "love" do you mean "despair at"?

When I changed from the original wheels on my Defy 2 to a pair of wheels with Mavic CXP33 rims and Shimano 105 hubs, looking at Strava informed me that my time on my usual 10 mile commute, and in particular my times up hills, improved slightly. This without me putting in any more effort than usual on the daily ride to work. These wheels were less harsh/firm than the new Shimano RS11 wheels I have since put on as replacements.

You are deluding yourself. Do you really want to claim that by replacing one set of wheels with an average number of spokes and a profile depth of 20mm, with another set of wheels with an average number of spokes and a profile depth of 20mm, you improved your time up hills? A Strava reading is not a scientific experiment. .

But you go on and claim that you can feel the difference in "harshness" between an average set of wheels and another average set of wheels. Do you realize that the compliance of a wheel (how much it gives way under load) is less than the thickness of a sheet of printer paper? For you to discern between 80gsm and 90gsm printer paper as you ride over it is pretty remarkable. To put it differently, If I make you ride over a line of coins, you'll thus be able to shout out whether they are facing up heads or tails as you ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom