Wheels - where do I begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
If that's his only criteria, then just buy any wheels that cost £200.
You two (citius and YS) talk in Black and white, almost robotic computer speak, so if we take that example - next time I go to the shop and I need a box of washing powder and I have £10 to spend shall I just buy a box that is £10 or have a look around at my options? Maybe you would rather live in some un democratic middle eastern country where you have no options rather than here in the UK where we have freedom of choice (where I'm guessing you live, I could be wrong) I'm sorry I just don't get it.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Yes, but the point is, at any particular moment, during the ride you wouldn't be able to tell you are going faster, not really. This is contrary to what many people claim they experience when they buy new wheels.
I'm not saying you could feel it, but never the less you would be faster.

Citius

You two (citius and YS) talk in Black and white, almost robotic computer speak, so if we take that example - next time I go to the shop and I need a box of washing powder and I have £10 to spend shall I just buy a box that is £10 or have a look around at my options? Maybe you would rather live in some un democratic middle eastern country where you have no options rather than here in the UK where we have freedom of choice (where I'm guessing you live, I could be wrong) I'm sorry I just don't get it.

Thank you for making my point. So how is it possible to discuss options without also discussing the relative merits of those options? And how would you discuss which merits would be appealing without first establishing the guy's riding preferences?

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for your responses. I'm not a heavy rider, weighing in at 70kg. I want something a lot lighter (and nicer looking) than the standard Axis Classic the bike comes with. Budget below £200, I don't mind paying that little bit extra as I'm cycling around 80 miles a week and think a decent set of wheels will be worth it.
@Citius

To be fair the nicer looking isn't really answerable as it's so subjective. I for one think those deep rim wheels with decals look awful, but others seem to like them

@Usehernamegood why not go to a few local bike shops and have a look at the options, see what appeals, read some reviews and then come back and ask for subjective opinions

Citius

if he's only cycling 80 miles a week and his budget is only £200, then my opinion is that he will be wasting his money. Spend on some quality folding rubber and go from there.

Citius

I think 'subjective' is probably accurate, as everyone tends to just recommend the wheels they already have ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
You mean objective opinions surely?
No subjective, we can only comment on what we experience with the wheels we have. Even reviewers only review the wheels as they find them, perhaps with comparison to others, BUT they wouldn't have ridden every wheel on the market, on every bike, on every road and in every weather condition and so on...
As Citius says

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Thank you for making my point. So how is it possible to discuss options without also discussing the relative merits of those options? And how would you discuss which merits would be appealing without first establishing the guy's riding preferences?
I'm sorry, you are just going way beyond what was asked......as usual.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
but what if the OP already uses quality folding rubber and still has £200 burning a hole in his pocket?

the usual numpties destroying a thread, just because someone has asked for advice on what to spend HIS money on

Citius

but what if the OP already uses quality folding rubber and still has £200 burning a hole in his pocket?

He could bet it on a horse and then spend his £800 winnings on a better set. If the horse loses, then he's stuck with the current wheels. Nothing ventured, 'n all that. You've got to admit, the idea's got legs.

No subjective, we can only comment on what we experience with the wheels we have. Even reviewers only review the wheels as they find them, perhaps with comparison to others, BUT they wouldn't have ridden every wheel on the market, on every bike, on every road and in every weather condition and so on...
As Citius says

I see what you say and maybe I have my semantics tied in a knot. What I mean is that subjective opinions are of no use. It merely states what we think and that would be without objectivity. If I was to give a subjective opinion on Justinlow's wheels I would say they are red and pretty. That doesn't mean that you would find them pretty because they are red. Subjectivity is fancifulness.

An objective opinion on the other hand would be based on fact. In that case I would have said nothing based on what I like but purely on what I experienced e.g. the bearings in the freehub are small and tend to fail very quickly or, tests in a wind tunnel have shown that those wheels have no advantage over the wheels you currently have on your bike.

My ultimate point is that asking for a subjective opinion (I think that's tautology in anyway) is useless. What does it matter? I see red wheels, I like them, I buy them. Why would I need an opinion on that?

Where have I gone off the rails?

the usual numpties destroying a thread, just because someone has asked for advice on what to spend HIS money on

Why would I not deride a question from a stranger asking me what he should spend his money on? Is he wasting my time? Is he tyre-kicking? Is he bragging that he's got 200 smackers that he has no use for? Does he not have a pension fund? Is he totally oblivious to the concept of gratuitous consumption?

Mod Edit: some content removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom