Wheels - where do I begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Why would I not deride a question from a stranger asking me what he should spend his money on? Is he wasting my time? Is he tyre-kicking? Is he bragging that he's got 200 smackers that he has no use for? Does he not have a pension fund? Is he totally oblivious to the concept of gratuitous consumption?

Mod Edit: some content removed
It must be great going out for a pint with you two - after discussing the relative merits of different ales you decide against purchasing any beer, instead preferring to drink tap water and save your money by investing it in a pension!!!!! And then sitting in silence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
We could just give our own real life experiences of wheels we have owned. I have had spoke and bearing issues with one brand although their wheels were exceptionally good value etc my experience has not been isolated. I learn't this from reading advice on forums including CC and that is why people tend to ask. If we respond in a helpful manner then we then have a "fun friendly forum" where people don't feel afraid to ask questions for fear of being derided at the mere thought of spending their hard earned cash. Yes a wheelset may not make a perceivable difference in speed but as Robert has said it will make some difference. If the person wants to go faster (that is not what the OP asked) then you can bang on about the benefits of training and skinsuits buying more time than wheels etc.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Why would I not deride a question from a stranger asking me what he should spend his money on? Is he wasting my time? Is he tyre-kicking? Is he bragging that he's got 200 smackers that he has no use for? Does he not have a pension fund? Is he totally oblivious to the concept of gratuitous consumption?

He asked for advice on new wheels for 200,

Last edited by a moderator:

Hacienda71

It must be great going out for a pint with you two - after discussing the relative merits of different ales you decide against purchasing any beer, instead preferring to drink tap water and save your money by investing it in a pension!!!!! And then sitting in silence.
There are no merits in discussing ales they all have similar alchol content and therefore gets you pissed, the rest is an irrelevance. :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
@Yellow Saddle And that is also what I said regarding the look of wheels, deep dim are vile to my eyes, but the OP may not be of that opinion, that's his subjective opinion as it is mine.

Where this might be useful is if, once he's asked the initial question and done some research and he says I like X & Y, what do you think...10 people could say no, I found those to be a heap of junk, which the OP might find useful or he may buy them anyhow cos he likes the look.

Experience is also subjective. mine might be completely different to yours as we are different and expect and experience different things. It isn't black and white. I'm not an engineer as you seem to be though, I spend my time analysing and interpreting market research data, that is pretty subjective and what I see in the data could be completely different to the rest of the world, doesn't mean it's wrong though :smile: I actually don't care about the technical side of anything very much, I'm more about look and feel...that could be a gender thing however ;)

Generally if I want to upgrade my bike, I don't p!ss around with wheels, I just get a new bike :biggrin:

I have said he needs to budget for tyres and tubes too and that if he doesn't have a carbon fork he might consider that, to me that would be a more worthwhile upgrade than wheels, along with decent tyres if he doesn't have some already

This is the nature of forums, people ask for help and potentially subjective opinions...if you don't like it, I would suggest you don't read the threads :smile:

Vickster said:
Experience is also subjective. mine might be completely different to yours as we are different and expect and experience different things.

I disagree. Experience is objective. For example, you either experienced a spoke failure or you did not. Perceptions are subjective though.

Vickster said:
and that if he doesn't have a carbon fork he might consider that, to me that would be a more worthwhile upgrade than wheels, along with decent tyres if he doesn't have some already

This illustrates my point to an extent. You've just given advice (real or as for an example about the discussion on semantics) but without stating why he should get a carbon fork. I would think there's more value in saying "get a carbon fork instead, because of XYZ."

Vickster said:
This is the nature of forums, people ask for help and potentially subjective opinions...if you don't like it, I would suggest you don't read the threads :smile:
The s word rears its head again and again I disagree with subjective advice unless helping your wife choose a colour for the kitchen floor. But nevermind.

On the nature of forums, I disagree with your approach. If I don't agree with something I say so and motivate my point of view. Not reading the threads is not really contributing to the debate, now is it?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
It's a pleasure. I'm just glad we could help by saving you a load of money.

I doubt you have managed to change his mind at all given the nature of your posting. I'd be more inclined to disregard anything you say from now on...and indeed...

Hacienda71

I disagree. Experience is objective. For example, you either experienced a spoke failure or you did not. Perceptions are subjective though.

This illustrates my point to an extent. You've just given advice (real or as for an example about the discussion on semantics) but without stating why he should get a carbon fork. I would think there's more value in saying "get a carbon fork instead, because of XYZ."

The s word rears its head again and again I disagree with subjective advice unless helping your wife choose a colour for the kitchen floor. But nevermind.

On the nature of forums, I disagree with your approach. If I don't agree with something I say so and motivate my point of view. Not reading the threads is not really contributing to the debate, now is it?

Why are you quoting what Vickster has said as if I said it?
:wacko:

I don't have a problem with someone saying I disagree with something someone else has posted. It is how it is said that matters. CC is set up by the owner to be "a fun and friendly cycling community" and self righteous chastising and thread derailments isn't what most members of the Forum want to read and borders on trolling. That is the point I am making. You can disagree with people politely. It ain't that hard.
:dry:

vickster

Legendary Member
Why are you quoting what Vickster has said as if I said it?
:wacko:
Cos he's a spanner?

If he could quote the right person and understand English, he'd see I did give a reason for carbon fork over wheels...comfort over speed ;)

Anyhow, he's now on ignore, phew! This thread is now sensible again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom