Wheels - where do I begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Perhaps I can summarise my experiences thus:

Choose some decent wheels. Up to £200 is more than enough.

The bike will feel a bit different, should be a bit more eager to go (and stop), maybe quicker to turn in.

They will not make you go 5mph faster, only improving the engine can do that.

Why are you quoting what Vickster has said as if I said it?
:wacko:

I don't have a problem with someone saying I disagree with something someone else has posted. It is how it is said that matters. CC is set up by the owner to be "a fun and friendly cycling community" and self righteous chastising and thread derailments isn't what most members of the Forum want to read and borders on trolling. That is the point I am making. You can disagree with people politely. It ain't that hard.
:dry:
It is a mistake of sorts. I really have no idea why that happened but it was certainly supposed to quote Vickster and I intended to debate him, not you. I apologise and will try and fix it.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Just got back from an 8 mile TT with my local club. I improved my time by 1.09, which I'm attributing entirely to my new Superstar wheels, as the time I beat was set on R501's :becool:
As Yellow saddle likes the "shiny red" look here's another picture taken tonight before my TT
image.jpg

Disclaimer, don't tell yellow saddle but.................the increase in speed could also be attributed to: my increased fitness, better lighter tyres also fitted, new Ultegra cassette, more favourable conditions on the night or magic. ;)
https://www.strava.com/activities/308986620

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Disclaimer, don't tell yellow saddle but.................the increase in speed could also be attributed to: my increased fitness, better lighter tyres also fitted, new Ultegra cassette, more favourable conditions on the night or magic. ;)
https://www.strava.com/activities/308986620

Careful now... You will have YS back with a load of graphs to prove that this new fangled magic is really no better than good old fashioned sorcery, and that you'd be better off keeping your original pentagrams......

Citius

Once again, everyone seems to be attacking the messenger rather than the message. Read up people, he hasn't said a single thing that is incorrect. And if you think he has, then go out and find a decent counter-argument.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Once again, everyone seems to be attacking the messenger rather than the message. Read up people, he hasn't said a single thing that is incorrect. And if you think he has, then go out and find a decent counter-argument.

I suspect a lot are attacking the manner in which the message is delivered, rather than the actual content per se.
This is supposed to be a welcoming and friendly community - Unfortunately over the last few months it feels like this has been forgotten by some posters in their zeal to ram their point of view on anyone and everyone. I know this new atmosphere has caused some people who've been around for a long time to no longer visit,.

I suspect a lot are attacking the manner in which the message is delivered, rather than the actual content per se.
This is supposed to be a welcoming and friendly community - Unfortunately over the last few months it feels like this has been forgotten by some posters in their zeal to ram their point of view on anyone and everyone. I know this new atmosphere has caused some people who've been around for a long time to no longer visit,.

Kestevan, could you please point out where I was rude to anybody, unfriendly or dishonest etc? I try to play the ball, not the man. Yes I robustly defend points I make with back-up data and explanations where applicable and this seems to offend those who disagree without a valid counter argument. If anyone without a counter-argument feels offended because they could not defend their stance, that is just too bad. They can react differently - keep quiet, defend validly or concede. However, they tend to insult. See the spanner comment above and your own "ram down their point of view" comment above, not to mention your reference to graphs and sorcery. These are hardly counter-arguments worthy of a technical discussion.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Kestevan, could you please point out where I was rude to anybody, unfriendly or dishonest etc? I try to play the ball, not the man. Yes I robustly defend points I make with back-up data and explanations where applicable and this seems to offend those who disagree without a valid counter argument. If anyone without a counter-argument feels offended because they could not defend their stance, that is just too bad. They can react differently - keep quiet, defend validly or concede. However, they tend to insult. See the spanner comment above and your own "ram down their point of view" comment above, not to mention your reference to graphs and sorcery. These are hardly counter-arguments worthy of a technical discussion.
The problem IS this
Someone WANTS to buy wheels
Someone WANTS some advice on their options
Someone DIDNT WANT to be told if they needed them or not.
Simple.

The problem IS this
Someone WANTS to buy wheels
Someone WANTS some advice on their options
Someone DIDNT WANT to be told if they needed them or not.
Simple.

The problem is this:
Someone is thinking of buying new wheels does some online tyre kicking.
Nobody asks why and what problem the OP is trying to solve.
Everybody recommends from a very narrow set of options all relating to their limited ownership of wheels.
Nobody gives any real advice in terms of data, mechanical reliability etc.
Everybody goes around stroking everyone's ego.
Lots of hearsay and magazine-inspired wisdom is bandied about.
No-one is allowed to challenge claims made.
Challenges to spurious claims are treated with hostility.
Everything remains very fluffy and nothing is achieved.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
The problem is this:
Someone is thinking of buying new wheels does some online tyre kicking.
Nobody asks why and what problem the OP is trying to solve.
Everybody recommends from a very narrow set of options all relating to their limited ownership of wheels.
Nobody gives any real advice in terms of data, mechanical reliability etc.
Everybody goes around stroking everyone's ego.
Lots of hearsay and magazine-inspired wisdom is bandied about.
No-one is allowed to challenge claims made.
Challenges to spurious claims are treated with hostility.
Everything remains very fluffy and nothing is achieved.
What if the OP is not trying to solve any problem and he just wants advice and spending HIS money on wheels, brakes, tyres, cables whatever.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom