Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
The budget is circa 1K - looking for lighweight, strong wheels for climbing in the welsh valleys.

I am a big lump at around 230lbs , can hold down the power on the flats and rolling terrain, but looking for some lighweight climbers to help on the steeper climbs.

So throw them at me guys......ideas so far are.

Zipp 101's

shimano dura ace c35/50

VamP

Banned
The 101s are neither light, nor particularly good. They won't stretch your budget either as they are around £400. Zipp's failed cynical foray into alu wheel market.

Can you live with tubs?

Are you looking for carbon? I am guessing yes at your price point.

Your budget won't stretch to the premium brands (Zipp, Enve etc) but a set of handbuilt Gigantex tubs will come in at around 1300g and £600-700 for a 50 mm rim, and a bit less for a 38mm. That's where I'd look.

Getting them handbuilt means you can specify spoke count, if you want to beef them up.

Still, at 230lbs, don't expect miracles from a saved 300 grams.

Milzy

Guru
If I was your weight I'd budget £300 on hand builts from Harry Rowland. But it's your money! :biggrin:

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky

VamP

Banned
If your budget can stretch up a fair bit Merlin Cycles are currently selling Zipp 202 Firecrest Carbon Clinchers for £1499. They're knocking out Zipp 101s for £825 as well. I think vamP might be thinking of the Zipp 30s rather than the 101s which are around £500

I have the 202's and I weigh around 95 - 100 kg and have no issues at all. I am also considering the 101's for my next project

I was thinking of these.

The 202s are decent wheels, but you can save a lot of weight and some money with these instead of the clinchers.

Last edited:

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
The budget is circa 1K - looking for lighweight, strong wheels for climbing in the welsh valleys.

I am a big lump at around 230lbs , can hold down the power on the flats and rolling terrain, but looking for some lighweight climbers to help on the steeper climbs.

So throw them at me guys......ideas so far are.

Zipp 101's

shimano dura ace c35/50

What weight are you looking at?

Sub 1500g at your weight you would be throwing your money away. Just MHO

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jowwy

If your budget can stretch up a fair bit Merlin Cycles are currently selling Zipp 202 Firecrest Carbon Clinchers for £1499. They're knocking out Zipp 101s for £825 as well. I think vamP might be thinking of the Zipp 30s rather than the 101s which are around £500

I have the 202's and I weigh around 95 - 100 kg and have no issues at all. I am also considering the 101's for my next project. I would also give Harry a ring and ask about handbuilts.

i have just bought the 202 firecrest from merlin cycles - thought 1499 was a bargain - i already have handbuilts on the bike from dcr wheels which will be transfered to my defy 4 commuter/winter bike

OP
OP
J

jowwy

All things considered I'd would concentrate

What weight are you looking at?

Sub 1500g at your weight you would be throwing your money away. Just MHO

i like honest opinions, but as its my money its also my choice whether to spend it or not - with 5k of bikes in my stable i think a nice set of carbons will add to the smile the sabbath already puts on my face.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

I was thinking of these.

The 202s are decent wheels, but you can save a lot of weight and some money with these instead of the clinchers.

thats 500 just for the front wheel

Top Bottom