Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
Is this true?

Mine (Michelin) feel very fragile when being handled. (Not had a visit yet, but that's me cursed!)

I have only had 1 puncture since I started using them ( nearly 5k miles) all on racing Vittoria Open Corsas, which are not particularly puncture resistant by themselves, and that was a slow puncture that took about 10 minutes to run down. Others with latex report similarly reduced puncture incidence. Something to do with higher elasticity of latex over butyl apparently...

I've never really bought into the latex tube argument. Realistically, I don't know how much 'reduced rolling resistance' a latex tube will give you, given that it is the tyre which is in contact with the road, not the tube. I've tried both butyl and latex tubes and can't tell the difference - and I've managed to go the whole of this year without a puncture yet, on butyl tubes.

VamP

Banned
I've never really bought into the latex tube argument. Realistically, I don't know how much 'reduced rolling resistance' a latex tube will give you, given that it is the tyre which is in contact with the road, not the tube. I've tried both butyl and latex tubes and can't tell the difference - and I've managed to go the whole of this year without a puncture yet, on butyl tubes.

I don't want to get all evangelical about it, in fact if we ever come up against one another in a race, I'll be glad of my secret advantage, but if you have access to a power meter and rollers it's really easy to test for yourself. The difference is bigger than you'd think on perfectly smooth rollers, and bigger still on rough tarmac.

Fundamentally though, the rolling resistance of a tyre is a function of its construction, and the tube is a part of that. Why do you think race tyres have higher thread counts?

Sorry - the difference is not noticable to me at all. That's not to say there isn't one - simply that I personally can't detect it. The tube, however, is self-evidently not part of a tyre's construction - unless we are talking about tubs, but that's a whole different discussion. The purpose of any tube is to keep the tyre inflated - nothing more.

in fact if we ever come up against one another in a race, I'll be glad of my secret advantage,

The only advantage that matters is a better power/weight ratio ;)

Last edited:

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
...The tube, however, is self-evidently not part of a tyre's construction...

Not part of its construction, but when in place and inflated its going to be as good as.

Im about to swap the conti race inners to my Michelin latex ones (with 202s and s-works turbo tyres). I think the effect will be more noticeable for lighter riders, but latex tubes do seem to go along with a pleasant "zimmm"

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Sorry - the difference is not noticable to me at all. That's not to say there isn't one - simply that I personally can't detect it. The tube, however, is self-evidently not part of a tyre's construction - unless we are talking about tubs, but that's a whole different discussion. The purpose of any tube is to keep the tyre inflated - nothing more.

The only advantage that matters is a better power/weight ratio ;)

Nope!

The performance gains are most noticeable when descending.

You mean they roll better. If that's your experience with them, then I can't dispute it - but like I said, I have genuinely never noticed any difference.

I personally can't think of a better advantage than an improved power/weight ratio. Isn't that what everyone is striving for?

Last edited:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I personally can't think of a better advantage than an improved power/weight ratio. Isn't that what everyone is striving for?

Whilst good power/weight ratio is never a bad thing, it is not always of paramount importance. For example in a flat time trial, power/CdA would be the primary focus.

VamP

Banned
The tube, however, is self-evidently not part of a tyre's construction - unless we are talking about tubs, but ...

The vast majority of tubs* have a separate latex tube sown up inside, it is no more a part of their 'construction' (if you want to get pedantic about it) than a latex tube inside a clincher. In both cases the tyre and the tube work together to define the rolling characteristic of the wheel.

*The only exception AFAIK to that are TUFO tubs which integrate the tube in the construction of the tyre in a unique design.

Top Bottom