Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
only 220 grams! you'll be telling us next that you have standard tubes too! Why spend a fortune on these wheels and then fit heavy tyres and probably heavy tubes too?
gp4000s in 25mm are 230grammes - so what u getting at??????

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I use the 4 Seasons as my commute tyre. I run Pro Race 4 on the best bike with latex tubes, and my, do they fly. 4 seasons are about the best all round lightweight tyre for all round use, including commuting. The Pro Race 4's are in a different class and sub 200g - they feel much more responsive on the road. The GP4000's are also good.

Down side is the conti's have a brown sidewall - can you can get black GP4000's?

OP
OP
J

jowwy

only 220 grams! you'll be telling us next that you have standard tubes too! Why spend a fortune on these wheels and then fit heavy tyres and probably heavy tubes too?
and too answer your question - because i wanted them and can afford them

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I use the 4 Seasons as my commute tyre. I run Pro Race 4 on the best bike with latex tubes, and my, do they fly. 4 seasons are about the best all round lightweight tyre for all round use, including commuting. The Pro Race 4's are in a different class and sub 200g - they feel much more responsive on the road. The GP4000's are also good.

Down side is the conti's have a brown sidewall - can you can get black GP4000's?

As far as I know, my GP4000s are all black bar the logo's. CBA to walk in the other room to see if I am right, lol

U

User6179

My gp4000s are all black!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thought they might be. That's the only down side with the 4 season, but it doesn't show the brake/alloy crap in the wet like black (or coloured does).

I find the 4 season doesn't make a whoosh sound though. Pop on some lighter tyres with latex tubes, and add in carbon rims - they will sound ace - they sound fantastic on alloy rims.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

at the moment i am using conti race lights - just weighed one ans its 84grammes - so i dnt think 25g less will make much of a difference

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
That's 25g per wheel, 50g total! Leave the dust caps and any of those annoying little washer knut things (these things are utterly pointless and only serve to work loose and make noises which confuse and annoy) off too!

OP
OP
J

jowwy

is 50grammes goin to make that much diff in the grand scheme of things

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
No, but why carry an extra 50g around when you don't need to, that's 50g worth of extra sweets you can carry without a penalty!

OP
OP
J

jowwy

No, but why carry an extra 50g around when you don't need to, that's 50g worth of extra sweets you can carry without a penalty!
good answer, thats the best one i have heard all day

VamP

Banned
It's not the weight so much, as the reduced rolling resistance and better handling that's the main bonus with latex. Pumping up wheels before every ride is a valid trade-off except for the very lazy.

Latex tubes also puncture less easily.

Top Bottom