Wheezy chest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geopat

Über Member
I regularly suffer from chest infections, wheezing and have a touch of asthma. Usually have to take antibiotics twice a year.

Anyway, I haven't felt great the last few days with my latest wheezing chest problem. Seems a little different from others as it is the top of my chest that feels tight. I've had a cold for the past month or so but it isn't so bad that I need to visit my GP.

Anyway, I was bored in the house today and against my better judgment went out on my usual 18 mile run as the sun was out. Don't feel any worse than before but should I have stayed in the house?

deaksie

hello geopat
My experience of training suggests you do what feels comfortable to you. There is no point overdoing it when you're ill - your body is trying to rebuild/heal itself and putting pressure on through exercise doesn't help that process.
On the other hand, there are plenty of people who find that increased exercise/fitness actually improves their immune system - they get less colds etc, and/or they recover much more quickly when they do get ill.
If you don't feel any worse, I think that speaks for itself - if you were bored enough to go for a run you must be on the mend, but you must listen to your body and do what feels right - 18 miles on the bike would probably have been better.
I'm coming down with cold right now - have been up in the night with a fever, but the bike needs testing so I will be out (just back from the shop - recurring problem) as I have 20 people doing a charity ride that I have organised on Saturday, so it has to be right for then. I will stick to the flat though, rather than going up the mad-nutter hill I normally prefer........
Good luck, get well soon!
L

brockers

Can't offer any advice on wheezy chests, but is there a cold virus going around at the moment? Knocked me flat on Saturday, and felt sort of OK Sunday, Monday and yesterday, but I feel rotten today and couldn't sleep last night (a bit like you sound Deaksie). I'm jolly annoyed, I can tell you, as I've just treated myself to a new pair of Assos's and wanted to go for a spin around the North Downs in this fantastic weather.

OP
OP
geopat

geopat

Über Member
Thanks for the replies. I think the advice to listen to your body is the best. Don't force youself out.

MLC

I have been diagnosed with Asthma (ex smoker) however having kicked the fags do not really have to use the pump much at all now so mine might not have been proper Asthma however I think you generally know if you have a chest infection rather than the common or garden cold.

I usually obey the rule if the cold is above the neck I'll go out and it will either kill or cure. If it is below the neck I may still go out but will listen very carefully to my body and if i have any hint that things aren't right I will cut the ride short and not try and soldier on and then just wait till I feel a bit better

Top Bottom