when bike sales people talk rubbish.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
I see a couple of Brompton riders every day...the look very serious...the both of them...more serious than any other cyclist I see...I don't know why this is...their concentration skills are impeccable...perhaps they're just trying hard not to laugh at me...who knows...

Friend of ours was a tour guide on HMS Victory and hated Ameerican Tourists!

One day he was asked about hanging from the yardarm, and replied that he wasn't sure which one as the documents did not always specify

The Tourist had a go at his " lack of knowledge"

His offer to practically research the process was received well by the rest of the tour group

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
LOL! Which shop was that?
Evans in kendal
You tease me with all this talk of biscuits.

Still not saying, but whichever of the two shops you might think it might be, it's probably the other

...or is it? ;)
Please, we all know you come to my shop just to listen to my particular strain of nonsense.
@Yellow Saddle I'm choosing not to be offended by your comments, but as a sales assistant ( although I prefer customer service advisor) I think I am qualified to comment. And if I'm out of my depth or just don't know I don't come out with any nonsense I hold my hands up to it

Hyslop

Veteran
No, it comes for free even if you don't want it.
Will you be carrying Jaffa cakes so I can spot you?!
Its all biscuits in the bike world.Makes you wonder,do riders of different makes proffer different varieties?Bianchi=Bath Oliver,Giant=Rich Tea,etc.Jaffa Cakes seem to be a hit I must say:smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I remember phoning Evans to see if they could get me a drive belt for Tacx rollers. The guy said they had a spare drive belt in, so I drove the 20 mile return journey. When I got to the sales desk, I said who I was and I was here for a spare drive belt for a Tacx. Anyway the guy dissapears for some time, alarm bells ring, and the chap appears with a big box with a new set of rollers in ? I explained I had said 'spare drive belt'. doh. Ordered some from Wiggle !

My son wanted a go of the rollers. PS they don't work well with a knobbly MTB - far too much vibration. Had to let him try though !!

Bizarre Brompton-hate in this thread! I must admit, when I rode mine regularly, I did begin to feel that as a white male I was getting just a teeny hint of what it might feel like to be on the receiving end of prejudice. It's the weirdness of it I find almost interesting: "Oh look, that bike has wheels of a markedly different diameter to that which I am used to, therefore I will spit, mock, throw stones etc etc. Also, because of this shocking dimensional difference, the rider must therefore be sub-human and/or a bad or contemptible person, therefore I will interpret everything they do which I don't like, as confirming evidence of same sub-human- ness, etc etc. Just weird. Even weirder is that now I ride a Fk-off long recumbent with two different size wheels everybody seems to think its 'cool'.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Not quite on topic, but close. Had a hell of a row with the owner of a wheelchairs supply business when he tried to tell me that treaded tyres were essential on a manual wheelchair - to avoid skidding :rofl:. We wanted the slickest tyres available. All my experience of riding road bikes (and pushing wheelchairs) counted for nothing. We've not been back.

paddypete

Do you smile patiently or cut them dead with your vast knowledge?!
In Evans today to check out the tern folders - hoping to do a comparison with the brompton, but they don't keep them in store.
Anyway,young lass isnt really interested in selling us one. Took some prompting to get her to take one of the rack at all! She started well asking what we wanted it for, but went rapidly downhill by suggesting a cycle carrier. She then went on to explain we wouldn't be able to do more than a few miles, 10 -20?!oh my no! Really?! I know of people who tour extensively. " well if I rode 10 miles to work, I'd be wrecked" ah,see,you're just not a very good cyclist I thought. Mr 6 was very impressed with my self-control at this point.
But then she decided to explain just how similar bromptons and terns are. Almost identical she said, because Mr bromptons son actually designed the tern. OK, I couldn't listen any more and corrected her because terrns and dahons are almost identical for just that reason and they're nothing at all like bromptons.
Mr6 passed me my coat.
the girl was just doing her best to be good at her job,maybe to impress her boss,she wasn't to know you thought she was a waist of here mum and dads time

Top Bottom