When choosing spectacles do you...

Do you want your spectacles to be...

• a fashion statement.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • as unobtrusive as possible.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pete

Comfortable and good build quality. Also continuity with my previous pair. I don't care for people commenting on the change.

Having said that, when I look at old photos and see what I used to wear in the 1970s and earlier ... Gordon Bennett! Think: Ronnie Barker meets Rolf Harris... :evil::blush::biggrin:

wafflycat

Melvil said:
I generally do both.

Since the opticians usually do a "two for one" thing I get one pair quite heavy, quite thick and the other pair much lighter and unobtrusive - more in the Sven Goran Eriksson style - that way I can choose.

Last time I used the equivalent of a '2 for 1' type offer, I got one pair with photochromatic lenses and one pair with a very dark tint to use as prescription sunglasses. This latter pair are very, very useful to me when driving. One thing that is a migraine trigger for me is bright, flickering light. So at times of year/day when the sun is low in the sky, and driving along, you get this flickering as the sun comes in from say hedges/trees on the verges, that can be instant migraine. I find wearing the prescription sunglasses takes the intensity of the flicker down enough that it doesn't act as a trigger for me. :evil:

OP
OP
M

Mortiroloboy

wafflycat said:
Last time I used the equivalent of a '2 for 1' type offer, I got one pair with photochromatic lenses and one pair with a very dark tint to use as prescription sunglasses. This latter pair are very, very useful to me when driving. One thing that is a migraine trigger for me is bright, flickering light. So at times of year/day when the sun is low in the sky, and driving along, you get this flickering as the sun comes in from say hedges/trees on the verges, that can be instant migraine. I find wearing the prescription sunglasses takes the intensity of the flicker down enough that it doesn't act as a trigger for me. :evil:

Known as 'stroboscopic effect' something I learned when on my advanced driving course, it can blind you to other road users, and is a potential hazard to safe driving, it can also bring on migraines(as you experience Waffly) and seizures, depending on how close together the road side obstacles through which the low sun is shining, which cause the flashing to strobe at seizure triggering speed.

Abitrary

I've got perfect vision, but still like the idea of glasses, and am toying with the idea of getting some plain lens ones just for a bit of 'geek chic'.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Melvil said:
I generally do both.

Since the opticians usually do a "two for one" thing I get one pair quite heavy, quite thick and the other pair much lighter and unobtrusive - more in the Sven Goran Eriksson style - that way I can choose.

Me too.
My every day jobbies are light and relatively unobtrusive, my "Special pair" are a bit more fashion/trendy and noticeable.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Generally want trendy ones that have light frames - so my Oakleys and Police spec's fitted that bill, but were very expensive - but I am wearing the things 16 hours a day....

Plax

Guru
I get my glasses from the Internet. I'm fed up of paying an arm and a leg at the likes of Vision Express and Specsavers. I know the shape and measurements of the style that suit me so I go from that. Got a really cheap pair this time round as my bf sat on my other pair of expensive rimless glasses and broke them. I manage to regularly break my glasses. Pair before that I somehow managed to snap the arm off (nice pair of Red or Dead's too).
So now I go for cheap frames, in a style that suits me. I'm a very practical type of gal (I like practical presents like Toasters and Hoovers, whereas my sister prefers shoes and would have a shoot fit if her fella brought her a toaster).

Maz

Guru
Plax said:
I get my glasses from the Internet.
Interesting, Plax...where do you buy them from and is the service good?

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Neither of the above - go for practicality

Prefer an aviator style with thin arms etc for max all round vision. Cannot stand the current trend for letterbox type frames.

Plax

Guru
Maz said:
Interesting, Plax...where do you buy them from and is the service good?

I always use
http://www.specsonthenet.com/
You can upload a picture of yourself and "try on" glasses too.
I've always found them very good.

There are loads of similar sites to this one. Type in "prescription glasses" in Google and a load will come up.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
HLaB said:
I like Titanium frames and the only ones I could find the last time with frames that I liked were Oakley!

I use Aluminium frames mostly, but have a steel pair for when I go touring...easier to repair...

Top Bottom