When did you last fall off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
A slow speed tumble on an icy lane last winter. I was on my way to the pub. Annoying in that it's the second time I've come off on ice in just 45yrs.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
About 3 years ago at work.

Heard over the wireless that some nasty villain had commited a crime. I wasn't far off, so decided to grab me some glory by nabbing a villain.

I'm trying to think of a good superhero name for you but he best I can come up with is 'Velo Viper'. Must try harder.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Found this recently.
sprocket-man.jpg

Info Here

Cycle safety dude apparently, probably a bit of a bore. Good name tho'.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Last Saturday when a bus driver decided to sit on my shoulder hissing his brakes. I'd had enough so i headed for the kerb, only to not mount it properly and run parallel against it forcing me to fall. I was only doing about 10mph but if i could've caught up with that bloody inconsiderate driver!!:gun:

Seryth

3rd of September, 2012. I tightened up my clips in the morning before riding into school. As I drew up by the bike racks (just outside my classroom) I slowed, tried to get my foot out of the clip, and my velcro strap got caught. Ended up just keeling over in full view of all my classmates! Rather embarrasing, but certainly funny to laugh about afterwards!

My last serious crash was when I was cycling in France earlier this year with some friends, and it was my fault entirely. We were going down a long, straight, steep hill, and I was trying to hit 40MPH (Got 42 in the end!). I put my head down, and as I wasn't looking, my front wheel grazed my mate's back wheel. He carried on, oblivious, but I came off at 40MPH dressed in nothing but lycra. Luckily I fell onto the grass verge alongside the road, so no serious damage was done. A large lesson learned for me though!

Before that, it was cycling home from school a couple of years ago (before I got my clips, luckily!)...I was on a cycle path, with a hedge alongside that had just been cut, leaving lethal sticks/brambles everywhere. One flew up into my spokes, went flying over the bars, and almost broke my wrist. I got back up and rode home on adrenaline, then when I got home I almost broke down into tears, haha! (I was only 13!)
Nasty nasty.

Bill-H

slow and steady
well bike and i became a german sheperds chew toy i was cycling from barnstable to exmouth along tarka trail when a wooly crocadile decided to knock me over i was doing about 15 mph.so there i was feet still in pedals with a frothing beast chewing on my handle bars dogs owner just shouted across sorry he does'nt like bikes and then whistled it off i was too scared of dog to chase owner really gutted bike twisted up and road rash on thighs and knees

Berties

Fast and careful!
twice in two weeks this month a chain off incident,at about 5 miles an hour looked more like a 80s break dancer and then a few days later a 15+ mph collision with a metal barrier,hit my upper arm and bounced all down the road,bruises took a week to come out aint slowed me up!!!! i am sure the best is to come, but am trying to take choppers advice

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y

Seryth

well bike and i became a german sheperds chew toy i was cycling from barnstable to exmouth along tarka trail when a wooly crocadile decided to knock me over i was doing about 15 mph.so there i was feet still in pedals with a frothing beast chewing on my handle bars dogs owner just shouted across sorry he does'nt like bikes and then whistled it off i was too scared of dog to chase owner really gutted bike twisted up and road rash on thighs and knees
Gutted man, dogs can be pretty scary. I remember (not cycling related) when I was about eight, I was out on a cliff walk along the coast path up near Start Point with family and friends when a large German Shepherd jumped up at me and almost knocked me down the cliff! The dog was taller than I was when it went up on hind legs....I was terrified and crying, and all the owner did was whistle to call it off!

Pigo

I met up with my ex husband recently for dinner. We both rode to the chosen pub - cycle path all the way.
After he had consumed rather a few too many glasses of wine I witnessed one of those truly classic comedy moments when he went weaving down the lane, totally lost it & ended up in the stinging nettles! All in slow motion! I really wish I had filmed him! We went our separate ways once he had recovered & I gave him strict instructions to text when he got home.....which he duly done.... over an hour later! He only had to ride 2 miles!!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
My brother has seen this thread and has asked that I include his "off" while on our Cumbrian holiday in July.

Doug, Gavgav and I went up to Coniston for a cycling & walking holiday (There was mention of Bluebird Bitter as well :whistle:) . We got some good rides in, several of which included riding over Hawkshead Hill at some point.
DSC00273.JPG

Doug (right of picture) & Gavgav in Grizedale about 2 hours before the accident.

On what turned out to be our last ride of the holiday, we had climbed up to High Cross before doing a circuit of Grizedale. We'd stopped at the visitor centre and were heading back when it was suggested that as I'd like to ride down the main road and Doug and Gav would prefer the quieter road via Atkinson Ground, we split up and meet at the junction at the bottom.

I got there pretty quick and waited for the others to arrive... which they didn't.:huh: After a few minutes I got worried and rode up the hill to meet them. It appeared that on the descent, Doug had encountered a slippy corner, the back tyre had lost grip and while trying to correct it he'd come off at about 25 mph.:eek:

South Lakeland-20120717-00116.jpg

South Lakeland-20120717-00117.jpg

South Lakeland-20120717-00118.jpg

South Lakeland-20120718-00125.jpg

Result: a good selection of gravel rash and bruising plus a dented helmet, but nothing broken, which I still find amazing given the speed of the crash. (And he healed quicker than I did after my off.:cursing::whistle: )

The bike also got away lightly: the pedals will need replacing at some point, the reflector on the handlebar grip is missing and there are a few paint scuffs but that is it.

It had started to rain towards the end of the ride, so Doug had put on a lightweight mac and surprisingly I think it was this that saved him from worse hurt as it slid when it hit the tarmac.

RWright

Guru
About a month or two ago, second day on clipless, I had a clipless moment in my driveway. I was riding my drop bar bike after riding my Towne bike. I had been clipping out of the pedals on my Towne either twising inwards or outwards and because it is a pedal forward design I had no problems. Not as fortunate when I tried it on my drop bar bike, twisted my heel inwards and it caught a spoke in the rear wheel.

I stopped pretty quickly :ohmy: but was almost stopped when it happend so I only got a small scratch on my knee and no damage to the bike. It made me more attentive about clipless pedals so it may have been a good thing.

Top Bottom