When getting additional bike, buy duplicate kit or swap backwards and forwards?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Why would you? Just pick up the pump and tools along with water, food and other things that aren't kept with the bike.

Why would you? For me it’s two reasons:

I need a coping strategy to ensure I have everything I need in a given situation. So a non cycling example would be if I’m going to town with a number of chores to do I put all I need with my car keys, wallet, glasses, shopping list, library books etc. This little strategy means I forget nothing. The one thing I can’t forget is the car keys which ensures I have everything else.

Same with cycling, all I need on a ride is stored inside my helmet as I won’t forget the helmet.

The second reason is I’m always late so rushing to meet people and not sufficiently organised to have the extra minutes to ensure I’ve mounted the pump, got the right tubes** etc.

For some it’s convenience for others, like me, it’s a solution to having a rubbish memory and being poorly organised.

** bitter experience proves the wisdom of a bag always attached to the relevant bike!!

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Same with cycling, all I need on a ride is stored inside my helmet as I won’t forget the helmet.
Sorry still not seeing the reasoning. Are you not taking a drink? And why not just put the tools/tubes in the hat like you put library books with the car keys?

screenman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5039081, member: 43827"]I have identical connectors on each of my bikes for the one saddle bag. Just swap and go each bike change.[/QUOTE]

I have a problem, the 3 bikes I mainly use have different size wheels. So for me every bike is equiped ready to go.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I think it will be a duplicate pump as the topeak roadmorph comes with a bracket to attach it to the frame and I don't think you can just buy another bracket

Wedge bag....hmmmm, maybe I'll look into those quick release jobbies and swap over as and when

I presume a garmin mount is fairly cheap so I'll just get another (plus they're a bit fiddly to take on and off)

Edit: seems I was wrong about buying an additional bracket

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pumps/topeak-mounting-bracket-for-road-morph-pump/

I've got separate Garmin out front mounts on each bike - you're right they're definitely too much faff to swap over. The road bikes have genuine Garmin ones, the hybrid has an SRAM one* that was half the price and does just as good a job.

Planet X do Jobsworth Garmin mounts from £5 (+P&P) - including in white, which (I think) will match your shiny new bike?
No idea what they're like, but they're a quarter of the price of a genuine one and PX stuff is usually OK.

000a.JPG

* - the hybrid has SRAM gears so this is permissible...

I need to minimise any reason for me to not ride at all times.....some days I don't need much excuse. Therefore, duplicates where I can on every bike!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Sorry still not seeing the reasoning. Are you not taking a drink? And why not just put the tools/tubes in the hat like you put library books with the car keys?

I imagine most of us have coping strategies for life though may not recognise them as such. This happens to be one of mine.

Without boring you with the list I totted up 23 items I need to carry on my bike / in pockets. My garage is 500 yards from my house. By having duplicates I’ve reduced what I need to remember and carry to the garage. It makes my life simpler

Another view would be this. A bike is a form of transport as is a car - both cease to function adequately after a puncture. Would it be sensible or reasonable to keep the spare wheel, jack, wheel locking nut, wheel nut spanner for the car in the house and take them out for every trip? I guess most people would say no. It’s thought perfectly reasonable to leave the necessary items to fix a puncture in the car at all times.

So if it’s reasonable to keep a car spare wheel in the vehicle why is it so difficult to understand why some cyclists chose to keep all the appropriate equipment to fix a puncture on their bike at all times? Removing the items from the car or bike exposes the user to preventable risk. Perfectly logical to take action by leaving them in the car or on the bike to avoid this.

Last edited:

mjr

Without boring you with the list I totted up 23 items I need to carry on my bike / in pockets.
Wow. I hope you don't mind me saying that I think you've overcomplicated it. I think I've four: keys, bag, clips and mitts or gloves. Sometimes I carry others, such as food/drink, the video camera or stuff I'm taking to deliver, but that's want more than need. The stuff in the bag occasionally changes by season but not by bike (the right tubes and magic links stay with the bike, as mentioned earlier).

Another view would be this. A bike is a form of transport as is a car - both cease to function adequately after a puncture. Would it be sensible or reasonable to keep the spare wheel, jack, wheel locking nut, wheel nut spanner for the car in the house and take them out for every trip? I guess most people would say no. It’s thought perfectly reasonable to leave the necessary items to fix a puncture in the car at all times.
I carry a bag, mitts or gloves and even more keys out to the car too (the bike keys are on my house keyring, but the car key isn't because IMO it's too flaming expensive to risk losing when not needed).

I don't think most drivers give a moment's thought to car repair toolkits and how crap most of the bundled ones are. They're only there because they were sold with the car. It's only oddballs (like relatives of car mechanics like me) that bother to test them before they're needed and replace the crap bits with usable tools, isn't it? Heck, I bet a fair number of drivers don't even know for sure where the keys for their locking wheelnuts are.

So if it’s reasonable to keep a car spare wheel in the vehicle why is it so difficult to understand why some cyclists chose to keep all the appropriate equipment to fix a puncture on their bike at all times?
That seems like a false equivalence. Even a pretty comprehensive multi-bike toolkit is maybe 400g - could be about 250g if your bikes don't include vintage/retro. A car spare wheel weighs over 10kg, possibly much more depending on model. One's clearly easy to carry and the other not.

Removing the items from the car or bike exposes the user to preventable risk. Perfectly logical to take action by leaving them in the car or on the bike to avoid this.
Leaving items in/on each vehicle exposes the user to avoidable cost and/or the risk of second-choice tools that fail when attempting a roadside repair. When I've had a car and van (for short periods, admittedly) the repair toolbox has moved between them and that seemed perfectly logical to me.

I guess we're each picking our preferred way to reduce the risk of being left with no useful tools.

Ajax Bay

Guru
keys, bag, clips and mitts or gloves
What is this 'bag' thing, to which you refer? Does it fit to each one of your bikes? Most cyclists avoid 'bags' (as I don't think you are referring to a little 'under saddle' bag). So if you put yourself in the (normal) position of most cyclists/contributors and didn't have a bag, how would you recommend they avoid 'over-complicating' things?
Clips? How many cyclists use clips? 1%?

mjr

What is this 'bag' thing, to which you refer? Does it fit to each one of your bikes?
Yep. It's a lot simpler/cheaper/quicker to duplicate the bag fittings than all the kit.

Most cyclists avoid 'bags' (as I don't think you are referring to a little 'under saddle' bag). So if you put yourself in the (normal) position of most cyclists/contributors and didn't have a bag, how would you recommend they avoid 'over-complicating' things?
Get a suitable bag, plus fittings for it for each bike. I think mine's about 3 litres. It fits to the saddle rails on some bikes. On the bikes without quick fixings, it usually gets strapped to a rack. Sometimes it gets dropped in a pannier rather than use the fixing. I can also throw it in an ofo basket or clip it into a London hire bike's front shovel thing.

Clips? How many cyclists use clips? 1%?
Most of the ones who wear trousers and dislike their leg cuff flicking the chainguard/case or crank?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Wow. I hope you don't mind me saying that I think you've overcomplicated it. I think I've four: keys, bag, clips and mitts or gloves. Sometimes I carry others, such as food/drink, the video camera or stuff I'm taking to deliver, but that's want more than need. The stuff in the bag occasionally changes by season but not by bike (the right tubes and magic links stay with the bike, as mentioned earlier)

I’m now finding it very difficult to understand where you are coming from, though I’m beginning to grasp the motivation. I thought you were asking for the logic I apply to duplicating some of my kit. I feel I have you a perfectly helpful explanation. You’ve now moved this on to suggesting I’m over complicating things in terms of kit without knowing what I carry.

As I pointed out my garage is 500 yards from my house. To ensure I minimise the risk of forgetting something I like to have duplicates packed in a cycle bag permanently on the bike.

If I had no duplicates I would have to ensure all the following was taken to the garage and packed in the appropriate cycle bag.

If you could tell me what is over complicated about the following which I regard as the basic essentials I’ll be interested to learn:

Tubes (duplicated)
Tyre levers (duplicated)
Pump (duplicated)
Puncture kit (duplicated)
Multitool
Zip ties
Lock (duplicated)
Survival blanket (duplicated)
Bottles x 2
Lights x 2 (when needed)
Garmin
Helmet
Cycling glasses
Reading glasses
Gloves
Cap
Rain jacket
Gels
Energy bar
Cycling wallet ID, cash etc
Phone

As for the comments about cars. I simply pointed out if it’s reasonable to leave the items required to fix a car puncture in the car the same applies to Bikes. The rest is irrelevant.

Top Bottom