When getting additional bike, buy duplicate kit or swap backwards and forwards?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm finally getting a second road bike. So the new one will be a "best" bike and the existing one will be relegated to "poor road conditions" bike

So this is a new problem for me. On the existing bike are the following bits:

Mount for Garmin
Bottle Cages
Wedge Bag containing multitool and levers
Topeak Roadmorph pump attached to top tube

Now I'm not so ridiculous as to swap bottle cages between the two bikes, I'll just get another couple. But the other items have got me thinking. Do most folk buy duplicates or do they swap them over as and when?

I guess if it was strictly a "winter" bike v "summer" bike then I would swap. But it will depend on the weather on the day

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have a saddlebag for each bike with the correct spare tube in each. The tools and CO2 stuff just move from bike to bike. There is a couple of quid in each saddle bag too. Emergency cake money.

Each bike has their own bottle cages and garmin bracket. I don't swap them about every time I use a different bike.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I duplicate everything. I have three road bikes so I have three of everything. The only thing I swap from one bike to another is my Garmin 200 as I can't justify the expense of owning three of them.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
over time my two current bikes now have their own tool set. as the bikes have different tyre sizes, they each have their own set of spare tubes and a pump (commuter) and co2 pump (posh bike)…

screenman

Legendary Member
I duplicate everything. I have three road bikes so I have three of everything. The only thing I swap from one bike to another is my Garmin 200 as I can't justify the expense of owning three of them.

Same here but over 5 bikes. The other two are a turbo bike and a memories machine that does not go out often.

bpsmith

Veteran
I used to carry the tubes, levers and CO2 head/cartridges in jersey pocket. I hate the look of a saddle bag, but finally succumbed recently. Now I just swap that between bikes. Everything else is duplicated, aside from the Garmin.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Separate kit for each bike.

I did try swapping kit between the bikes, but it's a faff, something else that you have to remember before every ride and although I got away with it there were several occasions when I've realised I was missing something vital - like spare tubes or a pump...

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I have bottle cages and saddle bags on my bikes, but only 1 set of tools, replacement tube, pump and water bottle which I switch to the bike of choice for the day. I've only once made the error where I forgot to bring my spanner for undoing the bolts to remove my single-speed wheels (my geared bikes all have quick release wheels) but thankfully I was in London at the time and flagged down another cyclist with a spanner who saved the day.

Will Spin

Über Member
I've got one of those large Topeak saddlebags, so everything I need, repair stuff, jacket, cycle lock, is in there apart from the water bottle and the garmin, I swap this over onto the bike I want to ride. I have two Garmin mounts, one on each of the bikes I'm using at present. I don't carry a pump, only CO2 bulbs, so these are in the saddlebag.

lazyfatgit

Duplicate everything except for Garmin and Rear camera light which get swapped between bikes. I carry a mini pump in jersey pocket. It’s maybe a bit extravagant but the bikes used to be in different locations when I worked away and a couple of times I forgot stuff.

If both bikes need the same tubes and tools then some of the wedge packs are quick to change. Fizik have a clip on type if you use their saddles. My newest BBB one has a T bar which twist under saddle with a rubber clip round the seatpost. Way quicker to remove than the jet black Velcro strap affair on the other bike.

Top Bottom