When getting additional bike, buy duplicate kit or swap backwards and forwards?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
I have a saddle bag (both with tools, tube, etc), pump, and Garmin mount for each bike. I swap my lights around though.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Bottle cages, racks, bells, lights or at least mounts and so on are duplicated. Inner tubes and quick links never seem exactly the same so they also relate to each bike.

Pump, tools, bags, camera mount - move between bikes. Most of them are qr. I've tools and pump that I feel are best for the space/weight and life's too short to faff about with second best tools at the roadside. Bags vary with the purpose of the trip, so moving them between bikes is normal anyway.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Duplicates of everything on all the bikes. I run a mix of nine, ten & eleven speeds requiring different quick links, 23, 25, 28, 32 & 35mm tyres so differnt tubes and both presta & schraeder valves acros my fleet, hence each needing it's own pack. Each also has it's own set of lights permanently fitted.

Just seems a bit extravagant to have two pumps, two multitools

What about seven of each? ^_^

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I use fizik saddles, so the quick release ICS system means it is easy to switch my Ortlieb
saddle bag over. Garmin mounts are cheap enough and my last Garmin came with 3 anyway. So all I switch is the saddle bag which takes about 3 seconds.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have separate appropriate kit on each of three bikes. The only thing I swap is my Garmin, multitool and lights - all too expensive to buy three times. The multitool I carry in my pocket. Both lights and multitool live in my helmet** when not riding as this is part of my coping strategy to 1) know where everything for a ride is and 2) not forget anything.

** in my helmet I keep cycling glasses, old reading glasses, Garmin, gloves, wallet, lights, multitool, cap and buff.

Last edited:
My 2 bikes each have a small wedge type saddlebag with a tube and tyre levers in. Each bike has its own rear light. Each bike has its own speed and distance counter.

The rest of the toolkit and mini pump are transferred from bike to bike. On the mountain bike, they are carried in a bidon which is carried in a bottle cage, with the pump velcro strapped next to the cage.
On the ebike, the bidon and pump go in a bag, which is carried in a pannier.
The front light, a cree type torch on a rubber mount, is also transferred from bike to bike, if needed. (I don't generally ride in the dark if I can avoid it...)

si_c

Guru
All my bikes have their own GPS mounts, bottle cages and pumps permanently attached. I've only got the one saddlebag (topeak aero) which has a quick release system, so I can swap it over on to either bike quickly. That has 2xCO2, 2xTubes, Multitool, cable ties, patches, tyre boot, etc etc etc, I swap that over to the bike I'm riding. I was tempted to get a second saddlebag, but to be honest I ride my commuter most of the time, so it stays on that until I use another bike, when I swap it over.

Also, for your old bike, get mudguards, you'll thank yourself for it.

Oh, and what bike are you getting?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Duplicate mostly, and often identical so that lights can be used on either bike because I have the identical mount on both bikes (so if low battery I can just grab the other one, or don't have to think which light goes with which bike.

I have two panniers but only use one on a daily basis so again I keep a duplicate set of stuff in each such as repair kit, 5 sided bolt thing to remove the wheel, pumps etc.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I think it will be a duplicate pump as the topeak roadmorph comes with a bracket to attach it to the frame and I don't think you can just buy another bracket

Wedge bag....hmmmm, maybe I'll look into those quick release jobbies and swap over as and when

I presume a garmin mount is fairly cheap so I'll just get another (plus they're a bit fiddly to take on and off)

Edit: seems I was wrong about buying an additional bracket

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pumps/topeak-mounting-bracket-for-road-morph-pump/

Last edited:
Top Bottom