When getting additional bike, buy duplicate kit or swap backwards and forwards?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
I use the same bag on all bikes just add a spanner when on fixed/single/double speed, my pump fits in the bag , separate Garmin mount and sensors for each bike.
I secure the bag under the saddle with an old toe strap, it keeps it nice and tight and no brackets needed.

Old jon

Guru
Two bikes, two different wedge bags. Everything is duplicated except the Garmin and the camera(s), which just makes things easy. Different bags so I cannot take the wrong one, it don't fit, and I do not have to transfer ( and drop!! ) fiddly little things like chain links.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Indeed. Only a complete idiot would be unable to carry out such a simple task.

(When I had my only puncture in the past couple of years - my pump was in the little saddlebag I use on my Brompton. I've since bought a frame mounted pump.)
A little harsh but once it becomes routine to grab the tool bag/roll/wedge along with food and drink, you're about as likely to forget it as to not have the tool you need for that rare bizarre mechanical or to have it fall out on the road without you noticing.

Gary E

Veteran
Same as @Jenkins, there are subtle differences between my bikes that mean that spares carried for one would not be compatible with the other (Tubes, Quick-links, Pumps etc). I also have an incredibly poor memory and so having to remember to transfer everything would just lead to disaster :sad:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
One large wedge bag with everything in, several bikes, and I just swap it between them.

I might get a bag for each bike one day, but I've not got around to that yet. And I've not forgotten yet either, but that event could well be the prompt. I have forgotten bidons before so it's not out of the question.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
A little harsh but once it becomes routine to grab the tool bag/roll/wedge along with food and drink, you're about as likely to forget it as to not have the tool you need for that rare bizarre mechanical or to have it fall out on the road without you noticing.

It becomes more difficult when each bike has different inner tubes, valves, nuts etc.

byegad

Legendary Member
Back in the day when we had 9 bikes I had a set of basic tools, with spare inner tubes and all needed to repair a puncture on all of the bikes. That way you don't get out into the wilds and find the pump isn't there and you haven't the means to remove a tyre. (You could ask how I know this, but if I told you I'd have to kill you!)

Now We have 5 left, the two that rarely see the light of day are down to 'just the bike' status, the other three have everything I'd need for a minor breakdown repair. So a spare cable or two, a multi-tool and spare tube and puncture repair kit. The one trike I take away for weekends also has a folding tyre and several inner tubes as well as a tyre boot.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It becomes more difficult when each bike has different inner tubes, valves, nuts etc.
Not by much: tubes stay with the bikes and adjustable pumps and spanners in the tools.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I've two Topeak wedge bags packed up, each with pump. The large bag is basically for winter use, and the medium for summer, and they are swapped between 4 bikes, though the large one tends to stay with the 'winter bike'. I've only once forgotten a bag - I developed a very insecure feeling when I realised, about 25 miles into an audax. Fortunately I was with a couple of other well equipped riders. Not as bad as when I realised I'd forgotten the front wheel, but that's another story.

U

User482

I have a "sticky pods" organiser for a tube, tool, mini pump and other bits and pieces. Much easier for swapping between bikes. I duplicate brackets, bells, cages etc.

pjd57

Veteran
A small bag that goes on the frame of the new bike. Tube, tools, etc , bank card .
When I go on the old/ work bike the small bag just goes in the pannier bag.
Still refining the process.
Early days of having more than 1.

Alan O

Über Member
I have a separate frame-mounted pump on each bike, and a bag* on each bike containing a spare tube, puncture repair kit, and just enough tools to change a tube (wheel nut spanner, levers). I try to remember to swap my adjustable spanner, chain tool, and allen keys before each bike ride.

I don't use cycle computers and so far have mainly been using just my Fitbit watch, but I'm starting to use my iPhone and Strava - so I'll probably get one of those small top tube bags that will hold that and a supply of jelly babies, and swap it between bikes.

(*Bigger carrier mounted bag on my touring bike that I use for longer rides when I want to carry serious food, locks etc, and small wedge bags on the other bikes that I never really do more than around 20 miles on.)

Top Bottom