When honked...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

...for the simple act of being in primary, are you more or less likely to move over and let the car behind pass?

I ask 'cos this happened (again) at a set of lights on Saturday. Its a complex little junction on Arbury Road in Cambridge; there are two stop lines and entrances staggered on the right (between the first and second stop lines) and left (after both stop lines). By the second stop line there is a traffic island. Unless you're goign to cycle off at walking speed, when the lights change you have to be in primary or you'll get squeezed out as the car behind you tries to out accelerate you.

As often as not the car behind gets angry, because you're just an objectionable cyclist slowing him down. One time in five they'll sound their horn.

And I can't help but think, if you've sounded your horn at me, I've won. You've seen me, you can't overtake where it is dangerous because I've chosen the correct road position... Why would I move over for you now?

Wolf04

Yes but don't forget to wave serenely as they eventually pass you and growl usually while honking again. :wacko:

I just ignore them, 9 times out of 10 they honk because you are a cyclist and it has nothing to do with road position, when they eventually pass I give them a wave and a loud "thankyou".

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
9 times out of 10 they honk me because I'm on a recumbent. A smile and a wave is the best response, and will match their karma perfectly. Either they'll be happy and chuffed to have a friendly response to their nice "hello", or they'll be angry against cyclists in primary, and will take it as sarcasm.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

Wolf04 said:
Yes but don't forget to wave serenely as they eventually pass you and growl usually while honking again. :wacko:

I save the serene wave and smile for when I inevitably catch them at the next lights; in this case its usually the ones at the bottom of Arbury Road (unless they've turned off somewhere else, which ruins my fun).

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I would stay in my position, pedal slower and maybe add a couple of professional wobbles into the fray. :biggrin:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I don't think I've ever been beeped for being in Primary... I've had things shouted at me when they finally get past though... the most recent being "...are you trying to get yourself killed???" to which I replied "No, I'm trying to stop you killing me by overtaking when there isn't enough room".... they seemed to have a thoughtful look as though they were pondering this for a second, but it could have just been an early morning motorist look (i.e. half asleep).

Watch it with the waving.

In a good, necessary primary one day, I got honked by a white van. I waved at the driver. Whether this infuriated him or whether he misinterpreted it I don't know - in any event, he blatted past me at elbow distance. I thumped his van twice, and he braked and looked pretty shocked, so maybe he really thought I was giving him the go-ahead.

Wolf04

Twenty Inch said:
Watch it with the waving.

In a good, necessary primary one day, I got honked by a white van. I waved at the driver. Whether this infuriated him or whether he misinterpreted it I don't know - in any event, he blatted past me at elbow distance. I thumped his van twice, and he braked and looked pretty shocked, so maybe he really thought I was giving him the go-ahead.

Wave as they pass, not while they are behind you! :biggrin:

I usually stay where I am. Most time however I find I couldn't have got out of the way if I wanted too, as the honk and overtake is just one manouvre. Its quite funny when an idiot does this only to find that the way is blocked by a central Island.
Edit: Another one I like is when they overtake only to join the back of a queue and I can just filter by.

Maz

Guru
I was in Cambridge yesterday. 2 cyclists (looked like pro's, not sudent types or owt) were beeped at for riding 2 abreast on Victoria Rd/Milton Rd behind Staples. Maybe they should've been in single file - it's not a wide road by any stretch of the imagination.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
HLaB said:
Edit: Another one I like is when they overtake only to join the back of a queue and I can just filter by.

Yes, occasionally I'll honk my AirZound right next to the driver's window if the overtake and honk they did was particularly impatient and unnecessary.

Top Bottom