When honked...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cab

Cab

Maz said:
I was in Cambridge yesterday. 2 cyclists (looked like pro's, not sudent types or owt) were beeped at for riding 2 abreast on Victoria Rd/Milton Rd behind Staples. Maybe they should've been in single file - it's not a wide road by any stretch of the imagination.

I know where you mean, I think... On the great big roundabout, takin up the whole of one of the lane from Victoria Road, turning to go on to Milton Road?

Riding two abreast there is approrpiate, because if you're on you're own you're going to be in an assertive primary to avoid being squeezed out anyway. The road space two cyclists take up riding like that is essentially the same as one assertive rider.

Maz

Guru
Cab said:
I know where you mean, I think... On the great big roundabout, takin up the whole of one of the lane from Victoria Road, turning to go on to Milton Road?
Yes, that's the one.

GrahamG

Guru
I stay there and look round with a well filthy look which just says "WTF is YOUR problem?" at which point they either back down or do the arm waving sign to ride in the gutter. If it's the latter, I slow down considerably.

domd1979

Veteran
I got honked at on the way home this evening when adopting primary:

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lgKqAm8-IE0

Approaching blind bend, I take primary because its just where you don't want to get overtaken. Its a bad bend in the car as well (people often appear too fast/ encroaching on wrong side of road). Bloke in red Megane approaches from behind and beeps his horn (can just hear it on video), but then overtakes anyway, and despite a car rounding the bend in the opposite direction he completes the manoeuvre. The other horn blast is me. Just as he rounds the bend, but you can't see/hear on video (sound on ATC2K is crap...) he's got his head stuck out the driver's window yelling "you shouldn't be in the middle of the road". Knob.

Me brother viewed the clip earlier and thinks I took primary too early, but I'm not sure I did. Would be interested in views on that.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thats a shocker that road !

I usually turn round and look, or hold out my hand. If honked and passed, it's smile and wave - works a treat. Longers and I got honked a few times riding up the Snake a few weeks back - 9-9.30 on a Sunday, hardly any traffic - why ????

Maz

Guru
fossyant said:
Longers and I got honked a few times riding up the Snake a few weeks back
You ride on the Snake Pass? My stomach is in knots just thinking about it.

yenrod

> When honked...

If someone does this to me - its generally a total loss of respect for that person so they get whatever I'm feeling at the time in question BUT generally its not positive !

jezhiggins

domd1979 said:
Me brother viewed the clip earlier and thinks I took primary too early, but I'm not sure I did. Would be interested in views on that.

I don't think you did. Better to take it earlier, than try and grab it late. I want to be holding the lane well before I get to the exciting stuff.

I think you have to take the state of the road into consideration, so an early primary was best here. Darwin will take care of idiots like this.

It might be worth contacting your council about the state of that road!

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

domd1979 said:

Your position was appropriate and the guy in the red car is a trouser impaired moron.

Take the video to the local plod; they'll try to ignore you, but do it anyway.

domd1979

Veteran
Thanks dudes - that more or less backs up what I thought at the time and afterwards when I watched the video.

It obviously isn't my week for encountering idiotic driving (summer holidays?)... On the way home today, I've got my arm outstretched to signal that I'm moving out of the cycle lane into the traffic flow to position myself to turn right. So as the car that's alongside is past, and I've got a gap, I start to move, except idiot woman approaching at speed is rapidly closing the gap and ignoring my signal. Used the stay back motion with my right signal but that had no effect. Horns blasted, and I get yelled at to watch where I'm going...!!! Kids in the car so she was setting a fine example to them.

Top Bottom