When is cycling not enjoyable.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Just regular tyres though, or specific for conditions?

When winter comes round again, I'll be looking for a cheap wheelset and thicker tyres for my commuter Specialized Allez 24 2011

I don't change tyres in the winter, I ride the same tyres all year round, the last few years I've been using 700cx28 Bontrager Race Lite Hardcases, a few weeks ago I dropped the size down to 25's.

uclown2002

Guru
I don't change tyres in the winter, I ride the same tyres all year round, the last few years I've been using 700cx28 Bontrager Race Lite Hardcases, a few weeks ago I dropped the size down to 25's.
Good to know. Do you ride in frosty, cold conditions?

I ditched my hybrid for a road bike, thinking I'd seen the last of harsh weather. I do have some 700x25 Vittoria Rubino Pro on at the moment but yet to ride them in harsher temps. I'll be commuting to work tomorrow at 4;30 and it will be cold. However, looks relatively dry so roads should be ok.

sheffgirl

the cold air can really nail your respitory system. - all that snot ect is the body trying to stop your airways freezing. - your breathing in very cold air , for your airways its like cycling naked.

put a muff or scarf over your face , makes it harder to breath , but you get used to it , but it protects the airways from the cold.

braver man than I crankarm with those tyres in those conditions

I love my fleecy muff/neckwarmer, I fasten it over my nose so just my eyes are showing, it keeps my face warm, and also means less of my face gets splattered in mud on wet days. My only issue is that it seems to make my nose run, so I end up all snotty inside it :sad:

I am cycle touring in Suffolk at the moment.

Purely opportunistic as I have leave to take and was in Cambridgeshire for Mother's Day

However after two days of biting winds and frequent snow flurries often "mini-blizzards" I have decided to cut short and spend tomorrow in St Albans, then a quick zip down to Waterloo and home a couple of days early

Absolutely no point in being uncomfortable, and I gain Brownie Points with the wife for being sensible

D

Deleted member 1258

Good to know. Do you ride in frosty, cold conditions?

I ditched my hybrid for a road bike, thinking I'd seen the last of harsh weather. I do have some 700x25 Vittoria Rubino Pro on at the moment but yet to ride them in harsher temps. I'll be commuting to work tomorrow at 4;30 and it will be cold. However, looks relatively dry so roads should be ok.

I will ride in most conditions if the journey is essential, if its a leisure/pleasure ride then I wont ride in bad weather, after over thirty years car free I have recently brought a car, now if its raining in the morning I will commute by car, before I brought the car the bike was my main transport and I would commute whatever the weather, rain, hail, sleet, snow or ice I rode, summer heatwaves or winter freezes I rode, I would only stop if it was impossible to ride.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Yesterday afternoon - new balaclava from Aldi, winter tights, long johns, 2 jackets, thin gloves under 'ski' gloves. merino socks, sandwich bags, overshoes. NE wind blowing a gale, any remaining puddles frozen, 'summer' bike (maybe call it 'dry road bike'?) BUT sunshine! Wind made my usual downhils uphill, and blown up the usual ascents! Great ride - get out and enjoy yourself. :thumbsup:
Today it's even better - the wind has dropped , less windchill, (only 1 jacket and a buff required) - but less time available, so only a quick short ride this morning.

Licramite

Über Member
cuts and bruises from sunday are healing nicely - I now have scar tissue on scar tissue, I always get hit in the same places -
but I now have a stinking cold - and the weather is lovely - I hate it.

subaqua

What’s the point
I don't like the cold :cold: or the rain :rain:
so you don't get out much inthe UK then :biggrin:

I found layers and decent gloves helped me. i hate the cold as it numbs my fingers

When the wind is gale force and when it is raining. I cannot express with words just how much I despise rain. I hate it like Jesus does homos or Schumacher hates speed limits.

al78

Guru
The Monday morning commute this week was not fun at all, howling northerly headwind almost every inch of the 9.5 mile journey and every time the snow showers arrived it was being driven into my face which was quite painful at times. The tailwind was nice coming home but because the first three miles is flat or downhill my thumb and one finger got painfully cold despite my winter gloves; think having a snowball fight with bare hands then immediately putting your hands under a running hot tap, that is what it felt like :sad:.

Neilsy

Ahh but brave it out, push hard and don't worry too much about your av speed then post hot bath and coffee you claim the moral high ground .... ;)

Top Bottom