When is cycling not enjoyable.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I honestly don't understand why anybody would want to ride in bad weather. There is always another day, and besides, the risks are to high. Breaking something just fo the sake of a bike ride is ot worth it. This is not an obcession but something to enjoy.
I really enjoyed my ride home tonight: barely any traffic, fresh snow, swoooosh swoooosh from the ice tyres. Had I been off, I would have gone for a long ride this morning.

Globalti

Legendary Member
This year Lancashire seems to have massive stockpiles of salt. Even country lanes had been salted yesterday.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Cycling is always enjoyable, well, the hobby of cycling is always enjoyable. I commute through the week in poor/wet/windy/cold weather, I like a weekend ride to be more pleasant. If the weather is poor I won't force myself out, I'll be in the workshop with a hot cup of tea giving the bike a strip and clean ready for the coming week. I am beginning to enjoy this nearly as much as riding out.

D

Deleted member 20519

I don't mind it being too cold if I have the right gear on but it's rain and wind that I can't stand, especially when the two are combined :cursing:

Looking out of the window this morning, its looked ok outside, I like cycling on a quiet sunday morning, no crazy car drivers rushing to work,no parents on the school run, all trying for that bit of space on the road, and sod any cyclist that get in the way.

But this sunday morning, having a nice lie in bed. gettin up without nothing to do apart from a nice bike ride. I opened the front door to be greeted by a arctic blast of wind, my god it was cold, I thought I better put on a extra coat before I get on the bike, I will soon warm up I thought.

Then a mile down the road, with that arctic wind blowing into my face, my teeth were chattering, and could not even feel my fingers, I headed back home, even now with a nice cup of tea and the heating on I am still feeling the cold.

You are not the only one. Some of us don't even get that far.

There is little in life more tedious than a cyclist who delights in telling his deeply engrossed audience how hardcore he is and how he rides into horizontal sleet.

Most of us are as you are, Paul04. Many of us are not even tough enough for that frozen mile.

Good post. Heroism is hugely overrated.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Cycling is how I get about so I inevitably cycle in all weathers. However I don't particularly like cycling in the cold and wind and rain. The right clothes make a lot of difference but I simply do not find cycling in advrse conditions very rewarding, beyond the reward of getting to my destination. Also (and I understand some may have very different views on this) I find there to be no virtue in cycling on awful weather. It simply happens some times and has no particular merit to it. There, I said it.

uclown2002

Guru
Those of you that cycle in these blizzard conditions, do you keep your regular thin tyres on or have you others for adverse conditions?

I see someone mentioned 'ice tyres.' Any recommendations for a Specialized Allez 24 2011?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Normally I just get on with it whatever the weather if it is commuting, but I've been a bit tired of late - especially when we had the cold stiff east winds a week or so back - it seemed to really sap me of energy, so today I have decided to take the bus instead. Feeling quite pleased that I don't have to battle with the winds today.

North is here!
Cycled my 5 miles to work this morning no bother - missed the snow storm by barely 10 minutes, same on the way back :biggrin:
We're talking England - the motherland :boxing:
Only kidding Pat
It was great this morning - very cold with a cutting NNE wind but just a smattering of snow - 1-mile in the heavy hailstones started on the only section I can get any speed up on my MTB - my goodness they hurt.
It then eased off to be almost immediately followed by a snow white-out.
The surreal bit was the blinding sunshine behind me during all this!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Pffft ... a Cycle Chat forum where people delight in demotivation and not cycling; the joys of the internet. ;)

I haven't read any posts taking delight in demotivation. Some people are being realistic about cycling though.
Perhaps you meant "a CC forum populated by a broad spectrum of cyclists and not just the mad keen enthusiasts on their mega expensive bikes; how refreshing". ;)

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
this morning i knew it was going to be cold so, out came the bamboo base layer, cycling jersey, long sleeved t then my windproof. added hat and winter gloves and i was sorted. usual padded shorts and overshorts.

OP
OP
paul04

paul04

Über Member
Pffft ... a Cycle Chat forum where people delight in demotivation and not cycling; the joys of the internet. ;)

I've cycled in ice,snow wind and rain, I've run in ice, snow,wind and rain, I really enjoy cycling, but when its its -8 in the wind then that enjoyment goes right out of the window (so to speak)

Even the most hardy person has a limit.

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
110313.jpg
Riding to work in this weather is about as much fun as getting your nuts caught in a spin dryer, but it's my only transport so I grimace and bear it.Roll on retirement.

Attachments

• 110313.jpg
    110313.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 41
Top Bottom