When is cycling not enjoyable.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Having returned from my bus ride I was still happy I took the bus. I did a short cycle ride today too - wearing my new down jacket and that kept me warm but it was still hard work for the mile or so that I rode it.

uclown2002

Guru
What a badass!!
Good for you. What width of tyre on there?
110313.jpg
Riding to work in this weather is about as much fun as getting your nuts caught in a spin dryer, but it's my only transport so I grimace and bear it.Roll on retirement.

Attachments

• 110313.jpg
    110313.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 44

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
110313.jpg
Riding to work in this weather is about as much fun as getting your nuts caught in a spin dryer, but it's my only transport so I grimace and bear it.Roll on retirement.
I salute you. No way would I ride in weather like this. The comfort of home is far more rewarding.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Just back from work. Temperature must be minus, snow still not all gone up my way, garden water bucket frozen solid.
Nevertheless I'm always very hot by the time I get home, must be the hill :heat:
Did not like it the time I got caught in a hail storm - that was sore!
Did not like it either when I was running the wrong tyres for the road condition :ph34r:
Whatever the weather, a short 30 min ride to work beats two bus journeys for me.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Those of you that cycle in these blizzard conditions, do you keep your regular thin tyres on or have you others for adverse conditions?

I see someone mentioned 'ice tyres.' Any recommendations for a Specialized Allez 24 2011?
Those
Don't know if they fit your bike, maybe there also are similar others that would fit it if those don't.

Crankarm

Guru
In answer to your question. Cycling isn't enjoyable when a) it's ****ing it down with rain on a 85 mile commute b) you get a puncture around 40 miles in and c) your that cold that you can't function probably.

Yes this is what happened to me on Friday!

:eek: What a one off or every day 5 days a week???? If the latter you should turn Pro or sectioned under the MHA.

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
What a badass!!
Good for you. What width of tyre on there?
700x28.I'm seriously thinking of fitting stabilisers to the bike if this weather goes on much longer.

uclown2002

Guru
700x28.I'm seriously thinking of fitting stabilisers to the bike if this weather goes on much longer.

Just regular tyres though, or specific for conditions?

When winter comes round again, I'll be looking for a cheap wheelset and thicker tyres for my commuter Specialized Allez 24 2011

tyred

Legendary Member
I normally like cycling in frosty weather, especially at night on moonlit country roads, but this winter I feel fine when I'm actually cycling (or walking) but seem to suffer sinus issues and wake up the next morning with a blocked nose, thumping headache and feeling like my head is about to explode.

Not sure what has brought this on but I'm fine normally so long as I don't go out in the cold. The nice man in the Pharmacy tells me that it is a very common complaint for people who exercise outside in cold weather.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
I sure dont consider myself a fair weather biker but in these winds, ice and snow on the road surface and temperatures around zero, I dont intend to poke a nose out of my front door, let alone get a bike out. Hibernation f'me, despite georgeous clear blue sky and sunshine. I'm not sure I could even get out in the workshop for a fettle in these temps.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I don't like the penetrating cold we've had this last few days, my hand circulation leaves a little to be desired, nor block headwinds but its all part of the joys of riding a bike.

Licramite

Über Member
the cold air can really nail your respitory system. - all that snot ect is the body trying to stop your airways freezing. - your breathing in very cold air , for your airways its like cycling naked.

put a muff or scarf over your face , makes it harder to breath , but you get used to it , but it protects the airways from the cold.

braver man than I crankarm with those tyres in those conditions

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
Just regular tyres though, or specific for conditions?

When winter comes round again, I'll be looking for a cheap wheelset and thicker tyres for my commuter Specialized Allez 24 2011
My bike is fitted with regular treaded tyres.Riding on virgin snow with them is not really a problem,they slip and slide a bit but somehow always manage to find some grip.The biggest problem for me is black ice.Riding on black ice,no matter what type of tyre is fitted, is as lethal as riding on ball bearings and the slightest change in road camber will tip you off instantly-it's happened to me a few times.Luckily, so far no following vehicle has yet managed to run me over.

Top Bottom