When is it going to stop... Raining

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We fell lucky with the last two camping weekends, dry and sunny and also dry when packing up.

Last two commutes this week were wet both ways on both days. My brake pads vanished it was that wet.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Raining again...........................................................:rain:

And here.

And tomorrow too. 🌧️☔

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I wanted to get my 3rd ride of the week in yesterday for the 3-a-week challenge but the forecast was looking bad. I looked around the valley from an upstairs window...

Wet roads, black clouds one way, sunny spots round here. Then the clouds moved. It started raining.

Blow that! I made some breakfast. It stopped raining while I ate but started again when I finished.

I switched my laptop on to see if I could find any websites whose contents had changed overnight (it is a never-ending battle to keep up).

I got a bit engrossed in my surfing so it took me a while to realise that the sun was shining again over Todmorden. The roads had dried.

I turned the laptop off, and dashed upstairs to get my cycling kit on. By the time I came back down it was peeing down again!

More messing about...

Eventually the forecast predicted an easing of the rain and it had indeed stopped. The roads were nearly dry again. Time for action!

I whizzed out on the bike, intent on doing a minimum of 30 minutes for the challenge, but hoping to get nearer an hour in. I would stay very local just in case.

For 25 minutes, all was good, then the clouds started rolling in again. I turned for home. As I arrived at my door I felt a few drops of rain on the back of my neck.

I opened the door, wheeled my bike in, closed the door and...

ZZZZZ-FLASH-KERBANNNNNGGGGG!!!!! I almost tripped over my bike in fright! A bolt of lightning must have come down incredibly close to here because the thunderclap was only about a quarter of a second after the flash and was scarily loud.

A heavy shower started. That turned into heavy rain. Then heavier rain. The water was coming down so hard that it was bouncing back into the air from the deep puddles that had formed everywhere. Then we got hail. Heavier hail. A lot of hail. Then the weather gods got bored, it all stopped, and 15 minutes later the roads were nearly dry again.

So... I don't know when it will stop raining for weeks at a time. It certainly hasn't yet! The fun British weather, eh?! :laugh:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I wanted to get my 3rd ride of the week in yesterday for the 3-a-week challenge but the forecast was looking bad. I looked around the valley from an upstairs window...

Wet roads, black clouds one way, sunny spots round here. Then the clouds moved. It started raining.

Blow that! I made some breakfast. It stopped raining while I ate but started again when I finished.

I switched my laptop on to see if I could find any websites whose contents had changed overnight (it is a never-ending battle to keep up).

I got a bit engrossed in my surfing so it took me a while to realise that the sun was shining again over Todmorden. The roads had dried.

I turned the laptop off, and dashed upstairs to get my cycling kit on. By the time I came back down it was peeing down again!

More messing about...

Eventually the forecast predicted an easing of the rain and it had indeed stopped. The roads were nearly dry again. Time for action!

I whizzed out on the bike, intent on doing a minimum of 30 minutes for the challenge, but hoping to get nearer an hour in. I would stay very local just in case.

For 25 minutes, all was good, then the clouds started rolling in again. I turned for home. As I arrived at my door I felt a few drops of rain on the back of my neck.

ZZZZZ-FLASH-KERBANNNNNGGGGG!!!!! I almost tripped over my bike in fright! A bolt of lightning must have come down incredibly close to here because the thunderclap was only about a quarter of a second after the flash and was scarily loud.

A heavy shower started. That turned into heavy rain. Then heavier rain. The water was coming down so hard that it was bouncing back into the air from the deep puddles that had formed everywhere. Then we got hail. Heavier hail. A lot of hail. Then the weather gods got bored, it all stopped, and 15 minutes later the roads were nearly dry again.

So... I don't know when it will stop raining for weeks at a time. It certainly hasn't yet! The fun British weather, eh?! :laugh:

I genuinely admire your persistence.

I seriously cannot do what you did there ie wait for a weather gap. I have no flexibility whatsoever once I have my plans disrupted for the day.

Whether I have a ride or walk planned for the day, if I get up and it is raining then that's it for the day. My mojo is gone!

Maybe it's an age thing, I have always been a bit like this but it seems to be getting worse as the years roll by. :rolleyes:

Currently chucking it down here. :sad:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I genuinely admire your persistence.

I seriously cannot do what you did there ie wait for a weather gap. I have no flexibility whatsoever once I have my plans disrupted for the day.

Whether I have a ride or walk planned for the day, if I get up and it is raining then that's it for the day. My mojo is gone!

Maybe it's an age thing, I have always been a bit like this but it seems to be getting worse as the years roll by. :rolleyes:

Currently chucking it down here. :sad:
I'm no spring chicken either, and my motivation is definitely decreasing with age too. That is why I like the 3-rides-a-week challenge. Doing 3 short rides may not sound like a challenge, and in a sunny week it isn't, but it is good to have something to get me out on the bike when I otherwise wouldn't bother. That is 73 consecutive weeks now, and counting!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Forecast was for heavy rain here this morning. For once, it has failed to appear and I celebrated with a 20 mile ride :smile::smile:. Might even manage out again this afternoon...
Lucky you!
Here is has practically not stopped raining for a fortnight.
The only dry days have been when I was at work: by the time I finish my shift, it's raining again! :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member

More messing about...

Two valleys over and all we got was a brief shower, with a rumble of thunder later in the evening.

Nothing like the above.

Top Bottom